1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About tension of rope

1. Dec 3, 2007 #1
    Hi, for this question
    this is the solution for (b)

May I know why for centripetal motion, it is mg=mv^2/r, but not mg+T=mv^2/r (T is the tension of the rope)?
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Because the rope is acting perpendicular to the motion and is prescisely enough to offset the force of gravity in that direction.
  4. Dec 3, 2007 #3
    Sorry, I am not very clear for the explanation.
    I assume "the rope is acting perpendicular to the motion" is the downward force for the tension of rope, visually, it is two forces acting on the object, one is the tension of rope, one is the gravitational force, I am not sure what is the incorrectness of my thinking...
  5. Dec 3, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't forget that you are looking for just enough energy to have the pendulum complete a full circle around the peg.....in which case there is no tension at the top of its circle, and the only force acting on the pendulum is gravity at that particular point.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?