Finding the Error in Calculating ε

• Thread starter Yegor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error
In summary, the problem involves finding the value of ε, which represents the strain of a vertically hanging specimen with weight P, Young's modulus E, and area S. After some calculations involving energy and work, the correct answer is determined to be ε = P/(2*E*S), taking into account the varying tension throughout the rod.
Yegor
I have the following problem:
The specimen (rod) is hanging vertically. Weight=P. Young's modulus = E. Area = S. What is the ε-?
ε = dL/L

As I know Energy U=V*(E*ε ^2)/2, where V-volume
And the work is A=P*dL(dL of center of mass)
In this case A=p*dL/2
So it must be that ε =P/(E*S)
But the correct answer is ε =P/(2*E*S)
Where is the mistake?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yegor said:
So it must be that ε =P/(E*S)
But the correct answer is ε =P/(2*E*S)
Where is the mistake?
I can't quite figure out what you're doing with energy and volume. But I suspect that your mistake is in treating the rod as if the tension were the same throughout, which is not the case.

Ok. In final moment Energy is equal U=V*(E*ε ^2)/2=V*(σ*ε/2),
where σ-stress (tension), (σ=F/S=E*ε (Hook's law)
But the "tension is not the same throughout".
It changes from 0 to P/S.
What I should do?

Yegor said:
But the "tension is not the same throughout".
It changes from 0 to P/S.
What I should do?
The stress ranges from 0 (at the bottom) to P/S at the top. So the average stress is 1/2 P/S. Thus the overall strain is P/(2 E S), where E is Young's modulus.

What is ε?

ε, also known as epsilon, is a measure of error in calculations. It represents the difference between the true value and the calculated value of a quantity.

Why is it important to find errors in calculating ε?

Finding errors in calculating ε is important because it helps to ensure the accuracy and reliability of scientific data and calculations. Identifying and correcting errors can lead to more precise and accurate results.

What are the common sources of error in calculating ε?

There are many potential sources of error in calculating ε, such as human error, equipment malfunctions, improper use of formulas or equations, and external factors like temperature or environmental conditions. It is important to carefully consider and account for these potential sources of error in order to minimize their impact on calculations.

How do scientists typically find errors in calculating ε?

Scientists typically use a variety of techniques to identify errors in calculating ε, including double-checking calculations, comparing results to previous experiments or known values, and using statistical analysis to identify discrepancies. Additionally, peer review and collaboration with other scientists can also help to identify and correct errors.

What are the steps to take when an error is found in calculating ε?

If an error is found in calculating ε, the first step is to carefully review and analyze the calculations to determine the source of the error. Once the source of the error is identified, steps can be taken to correct the error and ensure the accuracy of the results. This may involve repeating the calculations, adjusting variables, or making changes to the experimental setup.