1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About tensorial calculus

1. Jan 4, 2008 #1
    Hello:

I have a doubt because I don't find the general definition of the nabla operator in order to solve my matter.

I am working with dyadic analysis and I have to prove that

[tex]\nabla^{2}F = \nabla \nabla \bullet F[/tex]

where F is a symmetric dyadic function.

My problem is when I have to get [tex]\nabla^{2}F[/tex]

because I don't know how to calculate the gradient of a dyadic. I know the definition of the gradient of a vector what results in a dyadic, but no idea about the general definition of the gradient in cartesian coordinates for whatever order of cartesian tensors.

I 'd be very thankful for a little of help.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2008 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As far as i know, the gradient of a (n,0) tensor is a (n+1,0) tensor. Let's say you have a (3,0) tensor T

[tex] T=T_{ijk}e_{i}\otimes e_{j}\otimes e_{k} [/tex] (cartesian tensor and coordinates)

Then

[tex] \nabla T= \partial_{l}T_{ijk} e_{l}\otimes e_{i}\otimes_{j}\otimes e_{k} [/tex]

is the gradient of the tensor T.

4. Jan 5, 2008 #3
    Ok

I only need to relate the gradient of a (n+1,0) tensor with its divergence now. Because I have to get the divergence of the gradient of a (2,0) tensor, and comparate with the gradient of the divergence of the same one.

I had no too problems with the gradient of the divergence, but when I put in reverse order the operators I had some troubles because I didn't get the same result and I have to prove it's the same.

I'll put my results in a few minutes, I have to leave now.

Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?