How can I fix the LaTex generator on your site?

In summary, I'm having trouble with the LaTex generator on your site. If I try to enter a slightly corrected line of LaTex in the process of correcting the equation, your site allows maybe 2 or 3 corrections and then ignores any further submissions, repeating the same symbols even though I errased the LaTex portion of those symbols. I find this extremely annoying. If that is your intend to prevent abuse, then please have the system tell you this with a warning message.
Mike2
I'm having trouble with the LaTex generator on your site. If I try to enter a slightly corrected line of LaTex in the process of correcting the equation, your site allows maybe 2 or 3 corrections and then ignores any further submissions, repeating the same symbols even though I errased the LaTex portion of those symbols. I find this extremely annoying. If that is your intend to prevent abuse, then please have the system tell you this with a warning message.

Perhaps I over used the system when trying repeatedly to have it print out "b [tex]\sigma[/tex] t ", where sigma is the greek letter and t is the english letter. No matter what I seem to try the system does not want to print out a two letter subscript consisting of one sigma and one letter t.

Would appreciate a little help here.

Other than that, thank you ever so much for providing an easy code for generating math.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you trying to do the following?

[tex]b_{\sigma{}t}[/tex]?

place the sigma and t between {} brackets deliminators :)

Originally posted by Mike2
Perhaps I over used the system when trying repeatedly to have it print out "b [tex]\sigma[/tex] t ", where sigma is the greek letter and t is the english letter. No matter what I seem to try the system does not want to print out a two letter subscript consisting of one sigma and one letter t.

What, like this?

[tex]
b_{\sigma t}
[/tex]

(Monique, you don't need the extra brackets unless you're trying to force it to align both superscripts and subscripts.)

Last edited:
Mike,

I see two possibilities.

1) You're entering invalid TeX, and you're not sure why the output isn't what you expected. If so, please let us know what TeX you're using, so we can debug it.

2) Your browser is caching the images, when it should be reloading them when they change. You may need to adjust your browser's settings.

- Warren

Originally posted by Ambitwistor
(Monique, you don't need the extra brackets unless you're trying to force it to align both superscripts and subscripts.) [/B]
Ah, but does it then include a space or not? When I did it before it didn't.. let me try a spacer:

[tex]b_{\it \sigma~t}[/tex]

Last edited:
not so pretty but it works :P

You're right, it doesn't include a space by default, since that's usually not what people intend. With double subscripts, people usually intend

[tex]b_{\sigma t}[/tex]

or sometimes

[tex]b_{\sigma_t}[/tex]

but usually not

[tex]b_{\sigma~t}[/tex]

(And by the way, you don't need to italicize any subscripts unless they're supposed to be English words, so it gets things like ligatures correct.)

You are right, I am still learning too

I like the sight of [tex]b_{\sigma_t}[/tex] I guess that is what mike wanted to see?

A question. How do I change the default numbering in a list such as:

Code:
\begin{enumerate}
  \item First item
  \item Second item
  \item Third item
\end{enumerate}

So that the first and second items are numbered, but all remaining items are listed with letters:

1. First Item
2. Second Item
A. Third Item.
etc...

[tex]
\begin{quote}
\begin{enumerate}
\item First item
\item Second item
\renewcommand{\labelenumi}{\Alph{enumi}}
\setcounter{enumi}{0}
\item Third item
\item Fourth item
\end{enumerate}
\end{quote}
[/tex]

Last edited:
Originally posted by Ambitwistor
[tex]
\begin{quote}
\begin{enumerate}
\item First item
\item Second item
\renewcommand{\labelenumi}{\Alph{enumi}}
\setcounter{enumi}{0}
\item Third item
\item Fourth item
\end{enumerate}
\end{quote}
[/tex]

Thanx, worked perfectly.

What is the Latex generator?

The Latex generator is a software tool that allows users to create documents using the LaTeX typesetting language. It takes in plain text and converts it into formatted documents with high-quality mathematical equations and symbols.

How does the Latex generator work?

The Latex generator works by using a series of commands and macros to format the text and equations. Users input their text and equations using a specific syntax, and the generator then converts it into a PDF or other document format.

What are the advantages of using the Latex generator?

The Latex generator offers several advantages, including high-quality typesetting, compatibility with various operating systems, and the ability to easily include complex mathematical equations and symbols in documents.

What are some common applications of the Latex generator?

The Latex generator is commonly used in academic and scientific writing, as well as in the creation of technical documents and reports. It is also popular among mathematicians, physicists, and other researchers for its ability to handle complex equations.

Are there any drawbacks to using the Latex generator?

While the Latex generator offers many advantages, it can be challenging to learn and use for those who are not familiar with the LaTeX language. Additionally, the formatting options may be limited compared to other document creation tools.