Searching for Credible News Sources in an Increasingly Unreliable Media Landscape

In summary: So she only hears from a few sources - the news, the radio, and the friends she talks to. If one of those friends tells her something different from the news, she may not believe it. Sheppard Smith is a good example of this. Fox News is the only source of news that she trusts, but even he has made mistakes. $$$.Professional journalism has always been about filtering information so that the average person can make an informed decision. However, with the internet, this process has become much harder. There are now thousands of sources of information, and it is hard to know which ones to trust.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well, last night Katie Couric may have lost me for good with her ten minute interview with Karen James - wife of the climber found dead on Mt. Hood. I think it was Turbo1 who predicted that she would turn the news into the Today show, and it looks like he may have been correct. When I saw that she has a background in hard journalism, I held out hope that she would be a serious journalist, but last night was a new low for the evening news.

And CNN is on its way over a cliff. Between Nancy Grace and this new Beck idiot, much of their programming is nothing more than tabloid fluff. And of course Fox is garbage. NBC and ABC are in flux, and at this point I am starting to wonder if there will be any credible news source soon. PBS is still pretty good, but when Jim Lehrer leaves, I fear that too will end. I don't think Gwen Ifill cuts it. Her questions are often shallow or irrelevant, so even if she tries to continue the tradition of a high quality news show, I don't think she is up to the task.

As for newspapers, I gave up on those long ago. A paper is only as good as the editor, and it seems that many editors don't know how to remain objective.

With the internet being too wild as yet to provide reliable information, how will the news be filtered so that the average person knows what to believe?

Physics news on Phys.org
The news is entertainment, not informative anymore. $$$. Personally I watch Fox News just for Sheppard Smith who I think he's a fun personality, but it's not like I learn anything. Time to go back to reading the newspapers. There are some good ones. Jack Welch would read 12 newspapers every morning.

Last edited:
Honestly, I just hit Google news. Thousands of news sources, all very easily browsable. There's no longer any reason why a person can't read two or three or four different sources for the same news story, then decide for him/herself what really happened.

- Warren

What prevents chaos with no way to discern who is telling the truth? A key feature of professional journalism has been credibility and integrity. No one has ever been perfect, but the majors were usually pretty reliable. If this filtering process is gone, the reported news becomes a free-for-all.

Newspapers scare me - they can amount to nothing more than a mouthpiece for one person. Also, I was related [X brother-in-law]to an editor - scary!.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
What prevents chaos with no way to discern who is telling the truth? A key feature of professional journalism has been credibility and integrity. No one has ever been perfect, but the majors were usually pretty reliable. If this filtering process is gone, the reported news becomes a free-for-all.

The entire concept of "reliable news" is flawed. No reporter, editor, news floor employee, fact-finder, or anyone else is actually truly objective. The only way to really understand the news is to read multiple sources, and that has always been true. It just happens to be truer today than it ever has been before.

- Warren

The trouble is, most people turn to one or two sources. For example, my sister votes, but with a house full of kids, she may have thirty minutes a day at most during which to form her opinions and decide how to vote.

1. How can I distinguish between credible and unreliable news sources?

One way to distinguish between credible and unreliable news sources is to check the source's reputation and track record. Look for sources that have a history of accurate and unbiased reporting, and avoid those that have a reputation for sensationalism or spreading false information.

2. Can social media be a reliable source of news?

Social media can be a useful tool for finding news, but it is important to verify the information from multiple sources before believing and sharing it. Social media platforms are often not held to the same standards as traditional news outlets, and false information can spread quickly on these platforms.

3. Are smaller news outlets less reliable than larger ones?

The size of a news outlet does not necessarily determine its reliability. It is important to look at the reputation and track record of the specific news source, rather than its size. Smaller news outlets can sometimes provide more in-depth and accurate reporting compared to larger ones.

4. How can I fact-check news sources?

Fact-checking is an essential step in determining the credibility of a news source. Some tips for fact-checking include cross-checking the information with other sources, looking for primary sources, and checking the author's credentials and expertise on the topic. There are also fact-checking websites and organizations that can help verify the accuracy of information.

5. Should I only rely on one news source for information?

No, it is important to get information from multiple sources to ensure accuracy and avoid bias. By comparing information from various sources, you can get a more well-rounded and objective view of a topic or event. It is also important to consider the potential biases of each news source and try to find a balance between different perspectives.