1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About the uniform circular motion

1. Oct 16, 2004 #1
    Hi..
    I have problem solving this question..
    if anyone could help me out, i would really appreciate it.

Q. Taking the Earth to be a sphere of radius 6380 km, rotating about its own axis once every 24 hours, find the speed of rotation at the Equator. What is the apparent weight of a person of mass 65kg standing on the Equator as a result of this rotation? What must be the minimum period of the Earth rotation so that the person would feel weightless?

i got 464m/s for the speed and 634.something for the apparent weight but the answer was 73.8m/s for the speed and 636.9 for the apparent weight. when i tried to find the apparent weight with the velocity 63.8m/s, i got 636.9 N (Fg - Fc = W apparent)

maybe there's something wrong my logic..

i want to know how i have to solve it..

and one more..

Q. A car gies around a circular track 500m in diameter at a constant speed of 20 m/s (a) How long does it take for the car to go halfway around the track? (b) what is its average velocity in that time interval?

ok.. for (a) i just divide 500x 3.14 x 0.5 by 20 m/s

and for (b) i divided 500m by the time i got in (a).

is this correct? i want to make sure.. =)

thanks for the help.. :rofl:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2004 #2
    For #1 I got the same speed you did using v=2(3.14)(6380 X 10^3m)/86400s
    Are you sure the supposed answer is right?

I then used that answer and got 637 N for the apparent weight.

Draw a force-body diagram for the person. You have mg acting down and normal force(the apparent weight) acting up. They combine to create a centripetal force of mv^2/r.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?