Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About Time ?

1. Jun 18, 2008 #1
    Is Time absolute ( it is going on from starting (BB) to now at the same rate ) & also does it exists because photons exist as because the time interval is infinite only photons ?

What is the speed of time ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2008 #2
    Is this belongs to relativity section then please move it there .

4. Jun 18, 2008 #3

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

speed of time?

5. Jun 18, 2008 #4

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'd say the speed of time is 1s/s.

6. Jun 18, 2008 #5
    I often hear this but if you think about it that makes no sense. I don't mean that it's confusing, I mean the statement contains no information!

Try to think about what "One inch per inch" would mean.

Then again one could say much the same thing about the question "what is the speed of time?" it's nonsense.

Time is an axis of measure, not a thing which moves. A clock hand may move at one "second" per second, in the sense that it's angle changes by some measure in space over that second.

Two synchronized watches may be de-synchronized by relativistic effects as well, but it is not time that changes, It's the watches!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  7. Aug 30, 2008 #6
    "What is the speed of time?" The speed/rate of time is determined by the speed/rate of the earth's rotational movement and the speed/rate of the earth's orbital movement in its' annual journey/orbit around the Sun.

8. Aug 30, 2008 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Time, as we measure it, is from the persective of being on earth. If you lived on another planet, the way we measure time on earth would be meaningless.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  9. Aug 30, 2008 #8
    Not true Evo: If someone brought a very accurate clock and a calender with them to another planet or galaxy time would still have the same meaning as here on Earth.

10. Aug 30, 2008 #9

Evo

Only if they wanted to measure time as it means something to people on earth. Do you know why the time on earth is measured as it is?

Why would someone on another planet measure their time according to earth standards? Well, they wouldn't.

11. Aug 30, 2008 #10

Dale

Hi Evo,

I am guessing that you and rojanec are just talking about different ideas of "time".

For you time is days and years, sun rise and sun set, and seasons, very earth-centric.

For rojanec time is the t in all the physics equations, valid everywhere.

12. Aug 30, 2008 #11
    How do scientists communicate when they go into space :confused:

We might not need time definition for space now but if we are planning to colonize/move to other planets we wouldn't be able to communicate without defining time (days, years, months ...).

13. Aug 30, 2008 #12

Evo

No Dale, here is the post by rojanec I responded to

rojanec is basing the measurement of time on the earth.

14. Aug 30, 2008 #13
    "ronjanec is basing the measurement of time on earth" What other measurement is there?

15. Aug 30, 2008 #14
    Do I know why time on earth is measured as it is? Yes this started back in prehistoric times when man learned to tell time by watching the daily "movement" of the Sun-God/Sun across the eastern southern and western horizons: The modern clockface is really nothing more than a mechanical representation of all this and mimics this very ancient "journey" to a t.

16. Sep 14, 2008 #15
    Sorry my mistake. If time is the highest frequency, than there would be no need to know the frequency of time since there is no comparison to any higher one... Hope that wasen't gibberish to you as it was for me.

17. Sep 14, 2008 #16

Evo

Sorry, the post that confused you was nonsense and has been deleted.

18. Sep 15, 2008 #17
    According the special theory of relativity, time is not absolute.

Consider, for instance, the two dimensional plane as you learned it in high school geometry. A line segment drawn on this plane will have a length to it that everyone can agree on. However, its endpoints have no x and y coordinates until you put a grid on the plane. And if different people put different grids on the plane, they will disagree as to the x-coordinates of the endpoints. Time is like that, a coordinate in 4 dimensional spacetime.

19. Sep 22, 2008 #18

fluidistic

Gold Member

Time is what makes events succeed each others... It remains exactly the same as when our Universe was not even 1 second old. I believe you are confusing about what time is. It is known that we cannot define what we mean by "time" in any language. (Read about the physicist Étienne Klein. This physicist also says that we give time characteristics that it dosen't have, for example velocity, acceleration, etc. The speed is the magnitude of the velocity. But what is a velocity in physics? It's simply the derivative of the position with respect to time! Clearly it makes no sense to give time the characteristic of speed. So the answer to your question is "Time has no speed".).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?