About to Graduate in the UK - Questions on UK+EU Masters

In summary: For instance, if you want to work in a research lab, or work in manufacturing, a masters in physics will be a big advantage.However, if you are looking at renewable energy manufacturing, magnets (specifically NdFeB or SmCo for wind turbines) are pretty cool. Organic (i.e. polymer based) solar cells are "the next big thing" but they aren't at maturity yet. There are all sorts of pilot projects out there. You could just pick one, find a masters, and hope for the best (this is what life is, isn't it?)
xTLPx
I'm in the 3rd year of my BSc Physics degree in the UK and have decided that I think I'd like to do a Masters too. For background info, I should graduate with a solid First (+70%) and I probably won't go on to do a PhD.

My options at the moment are either switch to the 4 year course at the same institution within the UK, or seek out a course in Europe. This is because of tuition fees - I'd get a loan in the UK and most European unis charge considerably less or nothing for EU students. The bonus for studying in Europe is mostly cultural, learn a language and so on

So I have a few questions:

1. Can anyone recommend any good MSc Physics programmes? My only requirements are that they teach in English and the course takes 1 year. As far as I'm aware most programmes take 2 so it has been difficult to find them through Googling alone.

2. How do a BSc and an MSc compare in the graduate jobs market between general and technical jobs?

I know that many people who frequent this forum are from the US, so if you have any info or advice about graduate school in your country then I'd be very happy to hear that as well!

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just out of interest, do you have any idea what job you want to do? If you are going to do a masters you should start focusing on a specific career path rather than just getting "a good MSc".

Thanks for the reply. Not really. I think I'd like to work outside the UK so I'm thinking about being competitive internationally. Perhaps working in the renewable energy sector. I've picked several modules and my project to take this into account, so I get what you mean about studying the things that will be useful in a future career.

xTLPx said:
Thanks for the reply. Not really. I think I'd like to work outside the UK so I'm thinking about being competitive internationally. Perhaps working in the renewable energy sector. I've picked several modules and my project to take this into account, so I get what you mean about studying the things that will be useful in a future career.

May I suggest that you look at Materials Science departments on uni websites?

If you are looking at renewable energy manufacturing, magnets (specifically NdFeB or SmCo for wind turbines) are pretty cool. Organic (i.e. polymer based) solar cells are "the next big thing" but they aren't at maturity yet. There are all sorts of pilot projects out there. You could just pick one, find a masters, and hope for the best (this is what life is, isn't it?)

I know people who have done masters in Nuclear Engineering from a physics background, if that is your type of thing.

EDIT: I'm a material scientist so, yes, massive bias here.

xTLPx said:
I'm in the 3rd year of my BSc Physics degree in the UK and have decided that I think I'd like to do a Masters too. For background info, I should graduate with a solid First (+70%) and I probably won't go on to do a PhD.

My options at the moment are either switch to the 4 year course at the same institution within the UK, or seek out a course in Europe. This is because of tuition fees - I'd get a loan in the UK and most European unis charge considerably less or nothing for EU students. The bonus for studying in Europe is mostly cultural, learn a language and so on

So I have a few questions:

1. Can anyone recommend any good MSc Physics programmes? My only requirements are that they teach in English and the course takes 1 year. As far as I'm aware most programmes take 2 so it has been difficult to find them through Googling alone.

2. How do a BSc and an MSc compare in the graduate jobs market between general and technical jobs?

I know that many people who frequent this forum are from the US, so if you have any info or advice about graduate school in your country then I'd be very happy to hear that as well!

Thanks.

Most general jobs that physics graduates enter, like accountancy, management and consultancy won't give the slightest bit of a damn about a masters degree; however, a good, relevant masters can help your job prospects quite a lot in technical areas.

What are the requirements for a UK+EU Masters degree?

The requirements for a UK+EU Masters degree vary depending on the specific program and university. Generally, applicants must have a bachelor's degree or equivalent in a related field and meet the minimum GPA requirement. Additionally, non-native English speakers may be required to provide proof of English proficiency through tests like IELTS or TOEFL.

What is the cost of a UK+EU Masters degree?

The cost of a UK+EU Masters degree also varies depending on the program and university. Generally, EU students are eligible for lower tuition fees than international students. The average cost for a UK+EU Masters degree is around £6,000-£9,000 per year for EU students and £10,000-£20,000 per year for international students.

Is financial aid available for UK+EU Masters programs?

Yes, there are various forms of financial aid available for UK+EU Masters programs. EU students may be eligible for loans and grants from their home country's government, while international students can apply for scholarships and bursaries offered by the university or external organizations. It is important to research and apply for financial aid early as deadlines may vary.

Can international students work while studying for a UK+EU Masters degree?

Yes, international students are allowed to work part-time (up to 20 hours per week) while studying for a UK+EU Masters degree. However, it is important to note that the main purpose of a student visa is for studying, so work should not interfere with academic commitments. Additionally, students from certain countries may need to apply for a work visa before starting any employment.

What are the job prospects after completing a UK+EU Masters degree?

The job prospects after completing a UK+EU Masters degree vary depending on the field of study and individual qualifications. Generally, graduates from reputable UK universities have a good chance of finding employment in their field of study, especially in high-demand industries such as business, engineering, and healthcare. International students may also have the opportunity to work in the UK for a period of time after graduation through the Tier 2 (General) visa scheme.