What are the units for ΔxΔp in the uncertainty principle?

In summary, the uncertainty principle states that the multiplication of the standard deviations of position (Δx) and momentum (Δp) is greater than or equal to half of the reduced Planck constant (ħ/2). This means that there is a limit to how precisely we can measure both the position and momentum of a particle. The units for Δx and Δp are meters and kilograms meters per second, respectively, but when multiplied together, they give the same unit as ħ. This can be confusing because in the expression for a Gaussian wave packet, the standard deviations are squared, but the uncertainty principle refers to the product of the standard deviations, not the variances.
KFC
Hi all,
I am reading an article about uncertainty principle. If we consider a Gaussian wave packet which standard deviation of momentum ##\sigma_p##. The uncertainty principle states that the multiplication of variance of x and variance of p is larger or equal to half ##\hbar##

##\Delta x\Delta p \geq \dfrac{\hbar}{2}##

I think ##\Delta x## has the unit of meter, ##\Delta p## has the unit of kg.meter/second, so the multiplication of them give the same unit of ##\hbar##.

But if we have the Gaussian wave packet, the standard deviation of ##\sigma_x## and ##\sigma_p## should have the unit of meter and kg.meter/second. But reading the expression of variance for Gaussian given by standard deviation

##
\Delta x = \sigma_x^2, \Delta p = \sigma_p^2
##

So the unit for ##\Delta x \Delta p ## becomes kg*meter^4/second^2 ? I am confusing what mistakes I made here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just take out the superscript 2 on the sigmas.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, if we want the consistency on the unit, we should remove that superscript. But for Gaussian, the variance is defined as square of standard deviation. That's why it is confusing me. Why we need to redefine it by removing the square?

KFC said:
The uncertainty principle states that the multiplication of variance of x and variance of p is larger or equal to half ##\hbar##
No, it' the product of the standard deviations which is that.

--
lightarrow

Thanks. I think it is the notation confusing me. In the book I am reading, they use ##\Delta## but when I read other context, it uses ##\sigma##. If it refers to standard deviation in the expression of uncertainty principle, so ##\Delta x## mean the standard deviation of x not variance, correct? Thanks for pointing that out.

KFC said:
so Δx\Delta x mean the standard deviation of x not variance, correct?

Correct.

What is the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle, also known as Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle.

Who developed the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle was developed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927.

What is the significance of the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle has significant implications for our understanding of the behavior of subatomic particles and the limitations of our ability to measure them accurately.

How does the uncertainty principle relate to other principles in physics?

The uncertainty principle is closely related to other principles in physics, such as the wave-particle duality and the observer effect. It also plays a crucial role in the study of quantum mechanics and the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

Can the uncertainty principle be challenged or disproven?

The uncertainty principle has been extensively tested and has consistently been found to hold true. It is considered a fundamental principle in physics and has not been successfully challenged or disproven.