Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About vitamin C

1. Feb 15, 2005 #1
    Hi everybody,
    I'm not clear about whether we should consume large quantities of vitamin C. This is confusing to me, because in different sources I read different things. Some say that this vitamin is stored and contributes to better health (immunity, stronger connective tissue, etc), so the more we consume, the better. Other sources say that it's no use, because the extra amount is discarded, and yet other articles say that it can be harmful.
    So could someone clarify this for me? Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Feb 16, 2005 #3
    That discussion was very helpful. I understood that excessive amounts of vitamin C are discarded. Then why do people take huge doses of vitamin C when they have flu, lets say? When people claim that eating oranges or drinking lemon juice is good for the health, is it just because of vit C or because of any other compounds found in these fruits?
  5. Feb 17, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Excessive amounts of water soluable vitamins are routinely flushed out of the body. They can, however, cause collateral damage as suggeted by Moonbear's link.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?