Is High Vitamin C Intake Beneficial or Harmful?

• Thread starter ramollari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusing
In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the consumption of large quantities of vitamin C. Some sources claim that it contributes to better health, while others say it is useless or even harmful. The discussion concludes that excessive amounts of vitamin C are discarded by the body, but may still cause collateral damage. It is unclear whether the health benefits of fruits such as oranges and lemon juice are solely due to vitamin C or other compounds.
ramollari
Hi everybody,
I'm not clear about whether we should consume large quantities of vitamin C. This is confusing to me, because in different sources I read different things. Some say that this vitamin is stored and contributes to better health (immunity, stronger connective tissue, etc), so the more we consume, the better. Other sources say that it's no use, because the extra amount is discarded, and yet other articles say that it can be harmful.
So could someone clarify this for me? Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
That discussion was very helpful. I understood that excessive amounts of vitamin C are discarded. Then why do people take huge doses of vitamin C when they have flu, let's say? When people claim that eating oranges or drinking lemon juice is good for the health, is it just because of vit C or because of any other compounds found in these fruits?

Excessive amounts of water soluable vitamins are routinely flushed out of the body. They can, however, cause collateral damage as suggeted by Moonbear's link.

1. What is the recommended daily intake of vitamin C?

The recommended daily intake of vitamin C varies depending on age, gender, and overall health. For most adults, the recommended daily intake is between 65-90 mg per day. However, pregnant or breastfeeding women, smokers, and individuals with certain medical conditions may require higher amounts.

2. Can I get enough vitamin C from my diet?

Yes, most people can get enough vitamin C from their diet. Foods rich in vitamin C include citrus fruits, bell peppers, broccoli, and strawberries. However, if you are unable to get enough through your diet, you may need to take a supplement.

3. Is it possible to consume too much vitamin C?

Yes, it is possible to consume too much vitamin C. The upper limit for vitamin C intake is 2,000 mg per day. Consuming more than this amount can lead to stomach upset, diarrhea, and other health issues. It is important to follow the recommended daily intake and not exceed the upper limit.

4. Should I take a vitamin C supplement?

If you are unable to get enough vitamin C from your diet, a supplement may be beneficial. However, it is always best to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplement. They can assess your individual needs and recommend the appropriate dosage.

5. Can vitamin C prevent or cure illnesses?

Vitamin C is often touted as a way to prevent or cure illnesses such as the common cold. While it may help boost the immune system, there is not enough scientific evidence to support these claims. It is important to maintain a well-balanced diet and follow other healthy habits to prevent illness.