Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About weak potential (solid state)

1. Jan 8, 2006 #1
    In solid state physics, a proof of bearing energy gaps in one-dimesional dispersion relations is given by a quantum-mechanical perturbative approach applied to the level belonging to two bands at once, that is twice degenerate. For example for k=pi/a there's one of these levels between n=0 band and n=-1 band.
    The method is able to make visible the reason for which lower level is going lower again and upper, upper itself.
    I read somewhere that passing to tridimensional problem is not clever, not for a computational subject, but for the intrinsic long range property of electron-electron and electron-ion interactions. They go like 1/x.
    Now, here's my question: Should I deal with Fourier trasforms to reach some kind of a comprehension of this inability? They should go like 1/k^2, too slow to compensate in k-space (i.e. N-space) the fast growth of sites number: the volume of infinitesimal spherical shell N^2dN. If so, where's the cause?
    Thanks for your paid attention.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted