About Williamson ether synthesis

In summary, it is advised to perform the Williamson synthesis using a cold alcohol and a concentrated sodium salt. The excess sodium should be added in small portions over time. There is a risk of self-reaction when working with 2-bromoethanol.
chem_tr
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am planning to perform some Williamson synthesis. However, I have not been successful on obtaining a literature with described procedure. Will I need any procedures? I have looked at Organic Syntheses website (website url), but no procedures on the Williamson's technique.

My plan is simple; I will add some purified sodium (gasoline-polluted sodium grains will be washed with diethyl ether) on the non-reactive solution of my alcohol, then add the alkyl halide. I will calculate and add the sodium 1.1 moles excess per mole of my alcohol, and the alkyl halide 1.1 moles excess per mole of sodium. Is this approach logical? I will add the halide in portions, e.g., 10% of the required amount in 10 minutes, etc.

Can anyone who has done this procedure help me?

PS: You might also help me by speculating about my present problem; my alcohol is a macrocyclic one, and is somewhat insoluble in common solvents except dmso and dmf, in which my alcohol is not completely soluble. I might receive a better solubility after alkylating my alcohol with 2-bromoethanol; so my alcohol endgroups will remain, but the compound will be more soluble.

My second plan is to alkylate the alcohol with monochloroacetic acid; so I may have carboxylic acid groups to facilitate aqueous solubility.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
The procedure looks okay to me.

Make sure that your alcohol solution is cold when you add the sodium and add the sodium piece by piece.

Thank you very much! May I learn your comments about my second question? Will I be able to obtain a better solubility in common organic solvents after alkylation with BrCH2CH2OH or ClCH2COOH (this one will be water-soluble, I think)?

It's hard to say what the solubility will be. I guess they have a chance to improve the solubility, but I don't know for sure.

A last question: Is there any danger of self-reaction for 2-bromoethanol? What must I do to avoid this? I mean, when I add 2-bromoethanol into the sodium salt of my alcohol, I want that the alcoholate attacks 2-bromoethanol but not else. Shall I react 2-bromoethanol with sodium ethylate to decrease the risk? My experimental organic knowledge is a bit poor, so I wanted do refer to who knows these better.

Yeah, it might be a problem. I don't know what the best work-around for that would be though. I'm sure that it's been done before, but I don't know the details.

Hi... I have been doing williamson etherification with single bromo eg 1-bromoheptane,1-bromononane and 1-bromoundecane. ok, i uses KOH (equivalent amount to the alcohol) and catalytic amount of KI. Solvent : DMF (mininum amount!). 1-bromoalkane (in exess) is added dropwise and the reaction mixture is refluxed overnight eg 12 hours. The mixture thus obtained is cooled and the excess solvent is evaporated off. The precipitate formed is washed several times with dilute hydrochoric acid. Hope that it helps ! Good luck =)

1. What is Williamson ether synthesis?

Williamson ether synthesis is a chemical reaction used to synthesize ethers by reacting an alkoxide with a primary alkyl halide or tosylate. This reaction is commonly used in organic chemistry to form carbon-oxygen bonds.

2. What are the key steps involved in Williamson ether synthesis?

The key steps in Williamson ether synthesis are the preparation of the alkoxide, the nucleophilic attack of the alkoxide on the primary alkyl halide or tosylate, and the elimination of the leaving group to form the ether.

3. What are the advantages of Williamson ether synthesis?

One advantage of Williamson ether synthesis is its broad substrate scope, meaning it can be used with a variety of alkyl halides and tosylates. It also has a relatively simple reaction mechanism and can be carried out under mild conditions.

4. What are the limitations of Williamson ether synthesis?

One limitation of Williamson ether synthesis is the potential for competing reactions, such as elimination and substitution reactions, which can lead to side products. It also requires the use of strong bases, which can be hazardous and may limit the types of functional groups that can be present.

5. What are the applications of Williamson ether synthesis?

Williamson ether synthesis has many applications in organic synthesis, including the formation of ethers for use as solvents, reagents, or intermediates in the synthesis of more complex molecules. It is also commonly used in the preparation of pharmaceuticals and natural products.