Harry Wertmuller's Doubt on Windmill Energy Proportionality

In summary, the conversation discusses the statement that "energy is proportional to the cube of the velocity" and the confusion over whether energy is actually proportional to the square of the velocity. The conversation also touches on the fan laws and the aerodynamic forces that contribute to the energy produced by windmills. It is ultimately concluded that the power in the air passing through a windmill is proportional to the cube of the air velocity and that there are limitations to the amount of energy that can be extracted from wind.
HarryWertM
Reading about renewable energy on the Internet a short time ago, I came across the statement that "energy is proportional to the cube of the velocity".

Huh? I thought energy was proportional to the _square_ of the velocity. After all, we're not talking relativity here.
-Harry Wertmuller

Physics news on Phys.org
HarryWertM said:
Reading about renewable energy on the Internet …

Hi Harry! :smile:

Where on the internet?

I googled "energy is proportional to the cube of the velocity", but only got two hits, neither of them relevant. :confused:

Maybe it's just an error ! :)

It's true. The reason is that an increase in velocity also involves and increase in pressure. Here are the fan laws: http://www.delhi-industries.com/Engineering/Tips/FanLaws.asp
1 CFM varies Directly with RPM (CFM 1 / CFM 2 = RPM 1 / RPM 2)
2 SP varies with the SQUARE of the RPM (SP 1 / SP 2) = (RPM 1 / RPM 2)2
3 HP varies with the CUBE of the RPM (HP 1 / HP 2 = (RPM 1 / RPM 2)3
You need to substitute the first equation into the third...

Learned the same law in my Alternative Energy class at community college. It's true alright, and it's one of the factors that made our instalation of the school's windmill a lot easier. You see, as input (wind) increases by x, otuput increases by x3, and resistance (load) increases proportionally with output. So, as windspeed goes up, the blades' resistance to acceleration goes up exponentially, which keeps the blades from spinning too fast and ripping themselves apart.

Aerodynamic drag and lift forces vary with the square of the speed (assuming sub mach air speeds here). Since power = force x speed, then power varies with the cube of the speed (speed^2 for force component x speed).

HarryWertM said:
Reading about renewable energy on the Internet a short time ago, I came across the statement that "energy is proportional to the cube of the velocity".

Huh? I thought energy was proportional to the _square_ of the velocity. After all, we're not talking relativity here.
-Harry Wertmuller

Here is how I think of this surprising, but true, fact:

1. The energy per molecule (or mole, or gram, or whatever) of air is proportional to the square of the air velocity.

2. The number of air molecules per unit time, that pass through the windmill blades, is proportional to the air velocity.

Multiply the quantities in these two statements and we find:

The power (i.e. energy per unit time) in the air passing through the windmill is proportional to the cube of the air velocity.

HarryWertM said:

-Harry Wertmuller
the column of air in 1 second= v
the volume of air= va (a= cross area)
the mass of air=vad (d=density)
the kinetic energy= 1/2 m v v
=1/2 vad v v(vad=m)
= 1/2 ad (v v v)
hope you got the answer

It is not theoretically possible to remove all the energy from wind, because the air has to go someplace after passing through the windmill. This limit is called the Betz limit, ~59%. Actual windmills achieve ~40 to 45% maximum. Furthermore, because the wind velocity distribution is approximated by the Rayleigh distribution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_distribution
windmills on average operate at only ~35% of their maximum design power. So a 1.5 MW windmill on average produces only about 500 kW.
Bob S.

What is "Harry Wertmuller's Doubt on Windmill Energy Proportionality"?

"Harry Wertmuller's Doubt on Windmill Energy Proportionality" is a scientific concept that questions the proportional relationship between the size of a windmill and the amount of energy it can produce. It proposes that larger windmills may not necessarily generate more energy compared to smaller windmills, due to factors such as wind speed and efficiency of the turbine.

What evidence supports Harry Wertmuller's doubt?

Studies have shown that wind speed is a more significant factor in determining the energy output of a windmill compared to its size. Additionally, advancements in turbine technology have increased the efficiency of smaller windmills, making them competitive with larger ones in terms of energy production.

Does this doubt apply to all windmills?

While the concept of proportional windmill energy may apply to most traditional windmills, it may not necessarily apply to newer, more advanced wind turbine designs. These designs may have different energy production capabilities that are not solely dependent on size.

What are the implications of this doubt on windmill energy production?

If Harry Wertmuller's doubt is proven to be valid, it could have significant implications on the design and implementation of wind energy systems. It may require a re-evaluation of traditional windmill size and placement strategies in order to maximize energy production.

What further research is needed to address this doubt?

Further research is needed to better understand the role of wind speed and turbine efficiency on windmill energy production. Additionally, more studies comparing the energy output of different wind turbine designs could provide valuable insights into the validity of this doubt.