Above-Below Test in 3D: Solving for Line L1

• Thread starter totototo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the equation for the line in 3-dimensions should be (x-a1)/(b1-a1)=(y-a2)/(b2-a2)=(z-a3)/(b3-a3), and using this equation, you can determine if a point is above or below the line.
totototo
Hi;
If I have a line L1 first end point of L1(a1,a2,a3) and the second end point of L1(b1,b2,b3) in 3-dimensions.
From them I could get the eqaution of the line in 3-dimensions which is :
(X-a1/b1)=(y-a2/b2)=(z-a3/b3) if it is wrong please do let me know
I have an example:
first end point of L1(2,0,0) & the second end point of L1(-2,0,0)
note:(a1,a2,a3) for the first end point and (b1,b2,b3) for the second end point
I want to test the point(2,-2,2)(which refers to (x,y,z)) if it is above or below the line L1
so I pluged in the values in the above eqaution and I got negative sign ,I tried another point which is on the other side(-2,2,-2) but it gave negative sign which means I have something wrong could you please help me in this?

Thanks
totototo

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation for the line in 3-dimensions is not quite correct. The equation should be: (x-a1)/(b1-a1)=(y-a2)/(b2-a2)=(z-a3)/(b3-a3). Using the example with first end point of L1(2,0,0) and the second end point of L1(-2,0,0): For the point (2,-2,2) you get (2-2)/(-2-2)=(-2-0)/(0-0)=(2-0)/(0-0), which gives -1 = -1 = 1, so this point is on the line. For the point (-2,2,-2) you get (-2-2)/(-2-2)=(2-0)/(0-0)=(-2-0)/(0-0), which gives 0 = 1 = -1, so this point is not on the line.

Hi totototo,

Your approach to solving for line L1 in 3D is correct. The equation you have provided, (X-a1/b1)=(y-a2/b2)=(z-a3/b3), is known as the parametric form of a line and can be used to represent a line in 3D space.

For the example you have provided, the equation for line L1 would be: (X-2/-4)=(y-0/0)=(z-0/0). However, there seems to be a mistake in your calculation for the second end point of L1. The coordinates you have provided, (-2,0,0), do not match the equation you have given. The correct equation for the second end point would be (-2/4,0/0,0/0).

To test if a point is above or below a line in 3D, we can use the dot product of the vector formed by the two end points of the line and the vector formed by the two end points and the given point. If the dot product is positive, the point is above the line. If it is negative, the point is below the line.

Using this method, we can see that the point (2,-2,2) is indeed below the line L1, as the dot product is negative. The point (-2,2,-2) is also below the line, as the dot product is also negative. This means that your calculations are correct and there is no mistake in your approach.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Good luck with your 3D calculations!

1. What is the purpose of the Above-Below Test in 3D?

The Above-Below Test in 3D is used to determine the relative position of a line (L1) in relation to a plane or another line in a three-dimensional space. It can be used to check if a line intersects with a plane, lies above or below a plane, or is parallel to a plane.

2. How is the Above-Below Test performed?

The Above-Below Test involves finding the scalar equation of the plane in which the line L1 lies. Then, the coordinates of a point on the line are plugged into the equation to determine if the line is above, below, or intersecting the plane. If the result is greater than 0, the line is above the plane. If the result is less than 0, the line is below the plane. If the result is equal to 0, the line intersects with the plane.

3. What is the significance of the Above-Below Test in 3D?

The Above-Below Test is an important tool in 3D graphics and computer-aided design (CAD) as it allows for accurate positioning and orientation of objects in a three-dimensional space. It is also used in physics and engineering to analyze the interactions between lines, planes, and other geometric shapes.

4. Can the Above-Below Test be applied to determine the position of a line in relation to another line in 3D?

Yes, the Above-Below Test can also be used to determine the relative position of one line (L1) in relation to another line (L2) in a three-dimensional space. This is done by finding the scalar equation of the plane that contains both lines and using the coordinates of a point on L2 in the Above-Below Test equation to determine if L1 is above, below, or intersecting L2.

5. Are there any limitations to the Above-Below Test in 3D?

While the Above-Below Test is a useful tool, it does have some limitations. It only works for lines and planes in a three-dimensional space, and cannot be applied to curved or nonlinear surfaces. Additionally, if the line being tested is parallel to the plane, the Above-Below Test will yield a result of 0, which may not accurately reflect the relative position of the line and the plane.