Joining Vacuum Formed Alarm System Case: A How-To Guide

In summary, to join a vacuum formed alarm system case, you will need a hot glue gun, hot glue sticks, scissors, sandpaper, clamps, masking tape, acetone, plastic adhesive, baking soda, and plastic pieces. Before joining the pieces, they should be cleaned with acetone and roughened with sandpaper. The best way to join the pieces is by using a hot glue gun, and it is important to use a plastic adhesive specifically designed for joining plastic. If desired, the joint can be reinforced with baking soda and additional hot glue.
Gughanath
I made a case for a alarm system using vacuum forming. How do I join the two halves of the case? :confused:

Computer science news on Phys.org
Form them again, this time incorporate little lugs and holes for self tappers :-)

Failing that, do what every engineer does. Get the gaffer tape out.

There are a few different methods you could use to join the two halves of your vacuum formed alarm system case. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Adhesive: One option is to use a strong adhesive, such as epoxy or super glue, to join the two halves together. Make sure to carefully align the two pieces before the adhesive sets to ensure a secure bond.

2. Heat Welding: If your vacuum formed case is made from a thermoplastic material, such as ABS, you can use a heat welding technique to join the two halves together. This involves using a heat gun or soldering iron to melt the edges of the two pieces and then pressing them together to create a strong bond.

3. Mechanical Fasteners: Another option is to use mechanical fasteners, such as screws or bolts, to join the two halves of your case. This method may require drilling holes in the case, so make sure to plan out the placement of the fasteners beforehand.

Whichever method you choose, it's important to make sure that the two halves of your case are securely joined to ensure the safety and functionality of your alarm system. Good luck with your project!

1. What materials do I need to join a vacuum formed alarm system case?

To join a vacuum formed alarm system case, you will need the following materials:

• Hot glue gun
  • Hot glue sticks
  • Scissors
  • Sandpaper
  • Clamps
  • Masking tape
  • Acetone
  • Plastic adhesive
  • Baking soda
  • Plastic pieces to be joined

2. How do I prepare the plastic pieces before joining them?

Before joining the plastic pieces, you will need to clean them with a solution of acetone and water to remove any dirt or oils. Then, use sandpaper to roughen the surfaces that will be joined. This will help the adhesive bond better to the plastic.

3. What is the best way to join the plastic pieces together?

The best way to join the plastic pieces together is by using a hot glue gun. Apply a thin layer of hot glue along the edges of the pieces to be joined. Then, quickly press the pieces together and hold them in place until the glue sets. You can also use clamps or masking tape to hold the pieces together while the glue dries.

4. Can I use any type of adhesive to join the plastic pieces?

No, not all adhesives are suitable for joining plastic pieces. It is important to use a plastic adhesive specifically designed for joining plastic materials. Using the wrong type of adhesive can result in a weak bond or damage to the plastic.

5. Do I need to reinforce the joint after joining the plastic pieces?

If you want to reinforce the joint for added strength, you can mix a small amount of baking soda with the hot glue before applying it to the plastic pieces. This will create a stronger bond between the pieces. You can also use additional hot glue along the edges of the joint for added reinforcement.