Solving Abs(Cos(x)) Integral Homework

• Thread starter dobry_den
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the integral \int \left|\cos t\right| \ dt can be solved by dividing the interval (-infinity, +infinity) into two subintervals where cosine is positive and negative, and then integrating separately on each interval. The final result is two separate integrals: -sin(t)+c on the interval where cos(t) is positive, and sin(t)+c on the interval where cos(t) is negative. The textbook's given result, \sin \left(x - \pi \left(\frac{x}{\pi} + \frac{1}{2} \right)\right) + 2\left(\frac{x}{\pi} + \frac{1}{2} \right), is incorrect
dobry_den

Homework Statement

[tex]\int \left|\cos t\right| \ dt[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I divided the interval (-infinity, +infinity) into 2 types of subintervals where cosine is positive and negative respectively. But I'm not sure how to combine these two integrals to get one formula for the whole interval of real numbers. My textbook gives the result as

[tex]\sin \left(x - \pi \left(\frac{x}{\pi} + \frac{1}{2} \right)\right) + 2\left(\frac{x}{\pi} + \frac{1}{2} \right)[/tex]

Do you have any idea how to arrive at such a formula? Thanks a lot in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
That answer can be greatly simplified. It simplifies to [itex]\frac{2x}{\pi}[/itex]. Try it on your calculator.

dobry_den said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\int \left|\cos t\right| \ dt[/tex]

!
Is this supposed to be a definite or indefinite integral? Because if it is just indefinite then i think you missed something, because the answer you provided is defenitely wrong. Since if you take the derivative of your answer you defenitely won't end up with the integrand.
YOu only need to determine where cos(t) changes it's sign, and then integrate separately on those intervals, and you should end up with two answers: -sin(t)+c, on some interval where cos(t) is positive, and sin(t)+c,on the interval where cos(t) is negative.

Last edited:
sutupidmath said:
Is this supposed to be a definite or indefinite integral?

That's what I thought because

[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\mid\cos(t)\mid=?[/itex]

Does not converge so the answer their would be some sort of Taylor series I would imagine.

I don't understand the question?

And the general solution is obvious as said above.

Last edited:
gamesguru said:
That answer can be greatly simplified. It simplifies to [itex]\frac{2x}{\pi}[/itex]. Try it on your calculator.
No, it does not. You've missed a parenthesis.

HallsofIvy said:
No, it does not. You've missed a perenthesis.

Oh yeah, I was going to say that as well it actually simplifies to

[itex]\sin\left [\frac{(-\pi^2+4x+2\pi)}{2\pi}\right ][/itex]

I'd try doing it by hand myself.

But since I don't understand the question anyway seemed a bit pointless? :smile:

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:

Well, if someone missed a parenthesis, i would say that the OP missed it.

sutupidmath said:
Well, if someone missed a parenthesis, i would say that the OP missed it.

Indeed. It's either that or [itex]\sin(\frac{2x}{\pi}+1)[/itex] though.

Last edited:
sutupidmath said:
Is this supposed to be a definite or indefinite integral? Because if it is just indefinite then i think you missed something, because the answer you provided is defenitely wrong. Since if you take the derivative of your answer you defenitely won't end up with the integrand.

it's an indefinite integral

dobry_den said:
it's an indefinite integral

Well, i would again say that, that answer as it is given is not correct. But i might be missing something and those answers could be equivalent, i just can't see at first sight that those two answers actually are equivalent.

the same with me, that's why I'm confused about it.. but still, thanks a lot!

dobry_den said:
the same with me, that's why I'm confused about it.. but still, thanks a lot!

Must be a misprint then. Because no combination of playing around with brackets produces the actual result of [itex]\int \mid\cos(t)\mid\;dt[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
Am I missing something? Because as far as I can see,
[tex]
\sin \left(x - \pi \left(\frac{x}{\pi} + \frac{1}{2} \right)\right) + 2\left(\frac{x}{\pi} + \frac{1}{2} \right)=\frac{2x}{\pi}
[/tex]

gamesguru said:
Am I missing something? Because as far as I can see,
[tex]
\sin \left(x - \pi \left(\frac{x}{\pi} + \frac{1}{2} \right)\right) + 2\left(\frac{x}{\pi} + \frac{1}{2} \right)=\frac{2x}{\pi}
[/tex]

No you are not missing anything, from what the OP originally stated, Halls thought though that the OP misplaced parenthesees.

Halls might have thought that the expression reads like this:

[tex]
\sin \left(x - \pi \left(\frac{x}{\pi} + \frac{1}{2} \right) + 2\left(\frac{x}{\pi} + \frac{1}{2} \right)\right)
[/tex]

which is not what the op indeed wrote.

Last edited:
sutupidmath said:
No you are not missing anything, from what the OP originally stated, Halls thought though that the OP misplaced parenthesees.

[tex]
\sin \left(x - \pi \left(\frac{x}{\pi} + \frac{1}{2} \right) + 2\left(\frac{x}{\pi} + \frac{1}{2} \right)\right)
[/tex]

Ok, thanks for the clarification. And [itex]\frac{2x}{\pi}[/itex] actually works for any multiple of [itex]\pi[/itex], but that's not good enough to be the real integral.

sutupidmath said:

[tex]
[/tex]

That's my fault, because that equation does not match the integral, I assumed there might of been a mistake. Blame me not HOI. However it's still correct that neither equation yields the correct result. Thus the first post from stupidmath is correct, the answer is the absolute value when cos(t) is positive or negative on the intervals given there, not the textbook answer, which might be a misprint?

Last edited:
Yeah, defenitely, there seems to be no reasonable way that [tex]\int|cos(t)|dt=\sin \left(x - \pi \left(\frac{x}{\pi} + \frac{1}{2} \right)\right) + 2\left(\frac{x}{\pi} + \frac{1}{2} \right) [/tex] Or the other one, when we change the place of parenteses.

I would say there might been a misplacement of results at the back of the book, because it is not correct this way. End of story!

What is the purpose of solving an Abs(Cos(x)) integral?

The purpose of solving an Abs(Cos(x)) integral is to find the area under the curve of the absolute value of the cosine function. This can be useful in various fields of science and engineering, such as signal processing and vibration analysis.

What are the steps involved in solving an Abs(Cos(x)) integral?

The steps involved in solving an Abs(Cos(x)) integral include identifying the limits of integration, substituting the integral with a trigonometric identity, using integration techniques such as u-substitution or integration by parts, and evaluating the resulting integral.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving an Abs(Cos(x)) integral?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving an Abs(Cos(x)) integral include forgetting to apply the absolute value to the cosine function, misidentifying the limits of integration, and making errors in the integration process.

How can solving an Abs(Cos(x)) integral be applied in real-life situations?

Solving an Abs(Cos(x)) integral can be applied in real-life situations such as calculating the average power of a periodic signal in electrical engineering, determining the displacement of a vibrating object in mechanical engineering, and analyzing the amplitude and frequency of sound waves in acoustics.

Are there any helpful tips for solving an Abs(Cos(x)) integral?

Some helpful tips for solving an Abs(Cos(x)) integral include practicing with different types of trigonometric integrals, being careful with the signs when using substitution, and double-checking the final answer with the original function.