ABS: Does It Really Reduce Breaking Distance?

• Thread starter quawa99
  • Start date
In summary: ABS does generally tend to increase stopping distances over what a professional racing driver could manage without it. For the average lemming driver though, it is a huge benefit. You cannot stop faster with the wheels locked up than you can with them still turning as it is the turning which generates heat in the brakes, which is a pretty essential part of braking.ABS does generally tend to increase stopping distances over what a professional racing driver could manage without it, however for the average lemming driver, it is a huge benefit as you cannot stop faster with the wheels locked up than you can with them still turning.
quawa99
An ABS(Antilock-Breaking-system) prevents the locking of the the wheels in a car when brakes are applied.How is it able to reduce the breaking distance?.As it prevents locking the wheel keeps rolling when brakes are applied which means they still experiences rolling friction whereas when they're locked they experience sliding friction which is greater than rolling friction.So this implies that the ABS should increase the breaking distance right but this is not happening.Can somebody explain why?

Engineering news on Phys.org
ABS is not designed to reduce stopping distances, it's designed to allow the driver to maintain control of the car.

ABS does generally tend to increase stopping distances over what a professional racing driver could manage without it. For the average lemming driver though, it is a huge benefit. You cannot stop faster with the wheels locked up than you can with them still turning as it is the turning which generates heat in the brakes, which is a pretty essential part of braking.

Kozy said:
ABS is not designed to reduce stopping distances...You cannot stop faster with the wheels locked up than you can with them still turning ...

This seems contradictory.

... a professional racing driver could manage without it. For the average lemming driver though ...

As to who are the lemmings, is debatable...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdCDkfEKkUI​

When I purchased my latest vehicle, I was not aware that it had an ABS. It wasn't until a police car pulled out in front of me at an intersection a year later that I found out. (No lights, no siren...)

In the 4 years I've owned the vehicle, the ABS has activated on only two other occasions.

I would say that the ABS was designed for unexpected emergencies, when panic has you standing on the brake pedal, which as we all know, is the wrong thing to do.

quawa99 said:
An ABS(Antilock-Breaking-system) prevents the locking of the the wheels in a car when brakes are applied.How is it able to reduce the breaking distance?.As it prevents locking the wheel keeps rolling when brakes are applied which means they still experiences rolling friction whereas when they're locked they experience sliding friction which is greater than rolling friction.So this implies that the ABS should increase the breaking distance right but this is not happening.Can somebody explain why?

I believe your "rolling friction" phrase should be replaced with "static friction", as "rolling friction"* is irrelevant to this problem.

Static friction, as far as I have experienced, is always higher that kinetic friction.
Therefore, it's best not to lock your brakes.

* per wiki; "...the name "rolling friction" is to an extent a misnomer."
I tend to agree.

Likes 1 person
Wouldn't the heat produced due to locked wheels skidding decrease the friction between the rubber of wheels and the road?

Kozy said:
ABS is not designed to reduce stopping distances, it's designed to allow the driver to maintain control of the car.

ABS does generally tend to increase stopping distances over what a professional racing driver could manage without it. For the average lemming driver though, it is a huge benefit. You cannot stop faster with the wheels locked up than you can with them still turning as it is the turning which generates heat in the brakes, which is a pretty essential part of braking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZSqGPyWroes#t=133

As seen from the video ABS does help reduce the breaking distance.

Kozy has it spot on.
Its designed to prevent lock ups under panic braking. For the dual bonus of

a: not being locked up. A rotating wheel has more braking capacity than a sliding wheel.

b: allowing you to steer. This was the original reason for the systems introduction.

The reason for this is that a rotating wheel bases its grip as a function of static friction when rotating, when its sliding its retarding force is based on kinematic friction.

ABS always cuts in before the grip limit based on slip, some systems are more aggressive than others. Old systems used to cut in fairly early to be reliable, so much so that controlled used of the brakes would stop you in a shorter distance.

Threshold braking is a technique that stops the cars in the fastest time. It requires quite a lot of skill and feel to pull off. It will stop you faster than abs braking.

Modern abs systems are better than the used to be, but its still extremely frustrating when abs cuts in when you know you have grip to spare.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
OmCheeto said:
This seems contradictory.

Yes I agree, it does a bit.

ABS will stop you quicker than you would if you locked up the wheels, for the reasons mentioned. However, ABS cannot stop you quicker than threshold braking, but as Chris said, that's quite difficult for most people, especially under panic braking.
[/QUOTE]

Likes 1 person

1. How does ABS work to reduce breaking distance?

ABS, or anti-lock braking system, works by allowing the wheels of a vehicle to continue rotating even when the brakes are applied. This prevents the wheels from locking up and allows the driver to maintain control of the vehicle. The system uses sensors to detect when a wheel is about to lock up and then rapidly applies and releases the brakes to prevent it from happening.

2. Does ABS really make a difference in breaking distance?

Yes, ABS has been shown to significantly reduce breaking distance in various road conditions. In fact, studies have shown that ABS can reduce stopping distances by up to 20% on wet or slippery roads and up to 30% on dry roads compared to vehicles without ABS.

3. Are there any disadvantages to using ABS?

One potential disadvantage of ABS is that it can increase the stopping distance on loose or uneven surfaces, such as gravel or snow. This is because the system may not be able to detect when a wheel is slipping and continue to apply the brakes, resulting in a longer stopping distance. Additionally, some drivers may feel a pulsating sensation in the brake pedal when ABS is activated, which can be disconcerting for some individuals.

4. Can I still pump the brakes with ABS?

No, you should not pump the brakes with ABS. Pumping the brakes is a technique used to prevent wheels from locking up, but with ABS, the system is already doing this for you. Pumping the brakes can actually interfere with the system and increase the stopping distance. It is important to simply apply firm and continuous pressure on the brake pedal when using ABS.

5. Do all vehicles come with ABS?

No, not all vehicles come equipped with ABS. However, it is a standard feature on most new cars and trucks, and has been mandatory on all new passenger vehicles in the United States since 2013. Some older or lower-end vehicles may not have ABS, so it is important to check the features of a vehicle before purchasing if ABS is a concern for you.