1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abs max/min

1. Jul 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the absolute max and min values of f on the set D.

f(x,y)=4xy^3 - (x^2)(y^2) - xy^3
    D is the closed triangular region in the xy-plane with vertices (0,0) (0,6) and (6,0).

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found my two critical points to be (1,2) and (2,0). Then I tried to evaluate the boundary points:
    1) 0<x<6, y=0
    2) 0<y<6, x=0
    3) (6-y, y) because the third boundary line is y= -x+6

I don't know how to solve for the last boundary line though. I plugged in x=6-y in the original equation, got the expression (2y^3)-(12y^2). Do I just plug in numbers now?

My book gets (2,4) for the absolute min, which is a point on this 3rd boundary line. I just don't see how to come up with the point, though.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Did you write this correctly? Why not just 3xy3- x2y2?

f(x, 0)= 0 so that's easy.

f(0,y)= 0 so that's easy.

If what you wrote before is correct, f(6-y,y) will be a fourth degree polynomial, not a cubic. In any case, what every you get as a function of y alone, with y between 0 and 6, you differentiate and set equal to 0 to find the max or min.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  4. Jul 20, 2008 #3
    Sorry! It is a typo. It should read:
    Find the absolute max and min values of f on the set D.

f(x,y)=4xy^2 - (x^2)(y^2) - xy^3

So, if the other values of f(0,y) and f(x,0) did not give values of 0, would I also need to differentiate their functions and find the critical points there as well?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?