Find Absolute Max/Min of f in Triangular Region

• Thread starter fk378
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Absolute
In summary: If what you wrote before is correct, f(6-y,y) will be a fourth degree polynomial, not a cubic. In any case, what every you get as a function of y alone, with y between 0 and 6, you differentiate and set equal to 0 to find the max or min.
fk378

Homework Statement

Find the absolute max and min values of f on the set D.

f(x,y)=4xy^3 - (x^2)(y^2) - xy^3
D is the closed triangular region in the xy-plane with vertices (0,0) (0,6) and (6,0).

The Attempt at a Solution

I found my two critical points to be (1,2) and (2,0). Then I tried to evaluate the boundary points:
1) 0<x<6, y=0
2) 0<y<6, x=0
3) (6-y, y) because the third boundary line is y= -x+6

I don't know how to solve for the last boundary line though. I plugged in x=6-y in the original equation, got the expression (2y^3)-(12y^2). Do I just plug in numbers now?

My book gets (2,4) for the absolute min, which is a point on this 3rd boundary line. I just don't see how to come up with the point, though.

Physics news on Phys.org
fk378 said:

Homework Statement

f(x,y)=4xy^3 - (x^2)(y^2) - xy^3
Did you write this correctly? Why not just 3xy3- x2y2?

D is the closed triangular region in the xy-plane with vertices (0,0) (0,6) and (6,0).

The Attempt at a Solution

I found my two critical points to be (1,2) and (2,0). Then I tried to evaluate the boundary points:
1) 0<x<6, y=0
f(x, 0)= 0 so that's easy.

2) 0<y<6, x=0
f(0,y)= 0 so that's easy.

3) (6-y, y) because the third boundary line is y= -x+6

I don't know how to solve for the last boundary line though. I plugged in x=6-y in the original equation, got the expression (2y^3)-(12y^2). Do I just plug in numbers now?
If what you wrote before is correct, f(6-y,y) will be a fourth degree polynomial, not a cubic. In any case, what every you get as a function of y alone, with y between 0 and 6, you differentiate and set equal to 0 to find the max or min.

My book gets (2,4) for the absolute min, which is a point on this 3rd boundary line. I just don't see how to come up with the point, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry! It is a typo. It should read:

f(x,y)=4xy^2 - (x^2)(y^2) - xy^3

So, if the other values of f(0,y) and f(x,0) did not give values of 0, would I also need to differentiate their functions and find the critical points there as well?

1. What is the definition of absolute maximum and minimum of a function?

The absolute maximum of a function f(x) in a given region is the largest output value the function can attain within that region. The absolute minimum is the smallest output value the function can attain within the region.

2. How do you find the absolute maximum and minimum of a function in a triangular region?

To find the absolute maximum and minimum of a function in a triangular region, you first need to identify the vertices of the triangle. Then, evaluate the function at each vertex and at any critical points within the triangular region. The largest and smallest values obtained will be the absolute maximum and minimum, respectively.

3. What is a critical point in relation to finding the absolute maximum and minimum?

A critical point is a point where the derivative of the function is equal to zero or does not exist. These points can be potential candidates for the absolute maximum and minimum of a function in a given region.

4. Can a function have more than one absolute maximum or minimum in a triangular region?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have multiple absolute maximum or minimum values in a triangular region. This can occur if the function attains the same maximum or minimum value at different points within the region.

5. Is there a specific method or formula for finding the absolute maximum and minimum in a triangular region?

No, there is no specific method or formula for finding the absolute maximum and minimum in a triangular region. It requires identifying the vertices of the triangle and evaluating the function at those points and any critical points within the region. The largest and smallest values obtained will be the absolute maximum and minimum, respectively.