Abs Value of Sine Integral

In summary, the conversation is about the value of the sine integral and the absolute value of the sine integral. The latter is represented by the function \tilde{Si}(x)=:\int_{0}^{x} \left|\frac{\sin t}{t}\right| \ dt and the speaker is having trouble finding a lower bound for it. They suggest breaking it up into intervals and summing over them to find a lower bound.
sparkster
i know that the sine integral converges to pi/2. But what about the abs value of the sine integral. It seems to me that it would have value oo. But I'm having trouble coming up with a lower bound that diverges.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean
the absolute value of Si(x).

[tex] \left|Si(x)\right|=:\left|\int_{0}^{x} \frac{\sin t}{t} \ dt \right| [/tex]

or the abolute value of sinc(x)

[tex]\tilde{Si}(x)=:\int_{0}^{x} \left|\frac{\sin t}{t}\right| \ dt [/tex]

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Do you mean
the absolute value of Si(x).

[tex] \left|Si(x)\right|=:\left|\int_{0}^{x} \frac{\sin t}{t} \ dt \right| [/tex]

or the abolute value of sinc(x)

[tex]\tilde{Si}(x)=:\int_{0}^{x} \left|\frac{\sin t}{t}\right| \ dt [/tex]

Daniel.
The latter. Sorry for the confusion.

The graph is deceiving.My computer wouldn't compute the intagral.I don't know whether it's finite or not...

Daniel.

Break it up into intervals over the period of |sin(x)|

[tex]\int_{k*\pi}^{(k+1)*\pi}\left|\frac{\sin{t}}{t}\right|dt\geq \int_{k*\pi}^{(k+1)*\pi}\frac{|\sin{t}|}{(k+1)*\pi}dt[/tex]

Then sum over k=0,1,..,whatevers appropriate. There will be a little left over if x is not a multiple of pi, but this won't matter (you're bounding from below and your integrand is positive).

What is the "Abs Value of Sine Integral"?

The "Abs Value of Sine Integral" is a mathematical function that calculates the area under the curve of the absolute value of the sine function. It is denoted by the symbol Si(x) and is defined as the integral of the absolute value of the sine function from 0 to x.

How is the "Abs Value of Sine Integral" calculated?

The "Abs Value of Sine Integral" is calculated using the following formula: Si(x) = ∫|sin(t)|dt from 0 to x. This means that the integral is taken from 0 to x, where x is the given value. The result is a numerical value that represents the area under the curve of the absolute value of the sine function.

What is the domain and range of the "Abs Value of Sine Integral"?

The domain of the "Abs Value of Sine Integral" is all real numbers, as the function can take any value of x. The range, however, is limited to values between -2 and 2, as the absolute value of the sine function can never exceed 1.

What is the significance of the "Abs Value of Sine Integral" in mathematics?

The "Abs Value of Sine Integral" is significant in mathematics because it is used to solve various problems involving the area under the curve of the absolute value of the sine function. It is also used in the study of harmonic functions and has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing.

Can the "Abs Value of Sine Integral" be evaluated using a calculator or computer program?

Yes, the "Abs Value of Sine Integral" can be evaluated using a calculator or computer program. Many scientific calculators have a built-in function for calculating the "Abs Value of Sine Integral", and there are also various computer programs and software that can perform this calculation. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of the result may depend on the precision of the calculator or program being used.