• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Absolute Beginner

• Classical
  • Thread starter Binky
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

For someone (like me) who is fascinated by maths and physics, but has had no education to speak of other than rudimentary basic stuff that was taught in my rather poor comprehensive school, finding a decent way to self teach is a bit daunting.
The 'Dummies' books put me off a bit, I bought a book called 'Basic Physics: a self teaching guide' by Karl F. Kuhn which is great but gives all of the answers right next to the question, which is pointless.

Are there any established books that can be recommended? I stress I am at base level and would like to hear your suggestions. I have looked though the forum and it seems I am in a huge minority as most of you are light years ahead of me.

Thank you

Answers and Replies

What kind of maths do you know? Do you know any calculus?

What kind of maths do you know? Do you know any calculus?
Im afraid I am coming late to this. My education is Comprehensive level (If you live in the UK and understand I was inner city schooled in the late 1970's/80's you will know what I am talking about. I have a basic understanding of maths, nothing more. No calculus, algebra or any other branch. Its not that I dont understand, its I haven't had the opportunity to learn and with the cost of courses so high, self teach is the obvious answer.

Im afraid I am coming late to this. My education is Comprehensive level (If you live in the UK and understand I was inner city schooled in the late 1970's/80's you will know what I am talking about. I have a basic understanding of maths, nothing more. No calculus, algebra or any other branch. Its not that I dont understand, its I haven't had the opportunity to learn and with the cost of courses so high, self teach is the obvious answer.
I would probably start with learning a bit of math before trying to tackle Resnick and Halliday; something like:
1. https://www.amazon.com/dp/1438001509/?tag=pfamazon01-20
2. https://www.amazon.com/dp/0764119982/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator: