1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absolute Extrema: 2 variables

1. Mar 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the absolute extrema of the function on the set D.

f(x,y)= x^2 + 4y^2 + 3x -1

D= {(x,y) l x^2 + y^2 ≤ 4}

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The only thing I've done so far was find the critical point. I found f-sub x = 2x+3 and f-suby= 8y giving me a critical point of (-3/2,0), correct?

Using that critical point, I found f(-3/2,0) = -1

After that, I don't know how to proceed. I know -2 ≤ x ≤ 2 and -2 ≤ y ≤ 2 but how do I find the other critical numbers with that info? I'm unsure because the closed boundary graph is a circle and not a square, box, or triangular region.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

f(-3/2) is not equal to -1.

The absolute extreme can be on the perimeter. Find the critical point with the condition that x2+y2=4.

ehild

4. Mar 10, 2013 #3
    Ah, you're right, thank you. For that, I got -13/4.

So set y=√(4-x^2) ? and find f(x,√(4-x^2)). Then find values of x and use the result to find y. Then find critical numbers? Because that's what I did but it didn't seem right.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  5. Mar 10, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have found the global minimum of f, subject to g = x^2 + y^2 <= 4. (although your f is wrong while your (x,y) is correct). However, an extremum can also be a maximum, and you have not yet found that.

6. Mar 10, 2013 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is right.

Show your work.

ehild

7. Mar 10, 2013 #6
    Thanks, guys! I got it now. I forgot to take the derivative of f(x,√(4-x^2)).

Instead of finding the derivative, I found x and y of f(x,√(4-x^2)) and plugged it into the original function which was wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted