1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absolute extrema

1. Feb 26, 2008 #1
    {} these brackets are going to represent the absolute value lines
    the problem states
    find the absolute extrema of the given function on each individual interval:
    f(x)= {2x} - {x-2}
    a) [0,1]
    b) [-3, 4]

I know I need the derivative of the equation but it does not really give a good derivative since it would be f'(x)= 2 - {1}

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2008 #2
    well, first what is {2x} equal to when x is from [0,1], als owhat is the value of {x-2}, do the same thing in the other interval!

4. Feb 26, 2008 #3
    You could also break the function up into the intervals [itex](-\infty,0)[/itex], [itex][0,2)[/itex], and [itex][2,\infty)[/itex] and write f as a piecewise function. Then, you can find the derivative on each of those open intervals (remember that the derivative won't necessarily be defined at 0 and 2).

5. Feb 26, 2008 #4
    how am i suppose to do tat

6. Feb 26, 2008 #5
    Do u know how a piecewise defined function looks like? Well, to do that in this case you need to follow both my hints and also PingPong's hints!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?