1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absolute magnitude of the sun.

1. Jan 17, 2015 #1
    (a) What is the distance modulus of the Sun? (b) What is the Sun’s absolute magnitude?

2. I found the distance modulous using 5log(4.84E-6/10) to be -31.6. I feel like I need the apparent magnitude to get the absolute, my teacher is very vague about what we are given to use. Is there a way to do part b without the apparent magnitude using luminosity or flux or something of the sort? Thanks

3. I feel like I should use this m-M=distance modulus but I wasn't given any thing to work with.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I don't see how starting with luminosity or the solar constant is superior to starting with the apparent magnitude: They're all values that you aren't given in the problem itself and would have to look up (or measure somehow). So, I'd suggest using the apparent magnitude, which is a pretty well known value that should probably be memorized if you're doing an astronomy related course.

4. Jan 17, 2015 #3
    I was assigned problem 4, the apparent magnitude was given in problem 3. I should have just read that, thanks though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted