Absolute magnitude of the sun.

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the absolute magnitude of the Sun using the distance modulus and apparent magnitude. The speaker suggests using the apparent magnitude, which is a well-known value, rather than starting with the luminosity or solar constant. They also mention that the apparent magnitude was given in a previous problem.
scoopaloop
(a) What is the distance modulus of the Sun? (b) What is the Sun’s absolute magnitude?
2. I found the distance modulous using 5log(4.84E-6/10) to be -31.6. I feel like I need the apparent magnitude to get the absolute, my teacher is very vague about what we are given to use. Is there a way to do part b without the apparent magnitude using luminosity or flux or something of the sort? Thanks3. I feel like I should use this m-M=distance modulus but I wasn't given any thing to work with.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how starting with luminosity or the solar constant is superior to starting with the apparent magnitude: They're all values that you aren't given in the problem itself and would have to look up (or measure somehow). So, I'd suggest using the apparent magnitude, which is a pretty well known value that should probably be memorized if you're doing an astronomy related course.

I was assigned problem 4, the apparent magnitude was given in problem 3. I should have just read that, thanks though.

What is the absolute magnitude of the sun?

The absolute magnitude of the sun is a measure of its intrinsic brightness, or how bright it would appear if it were located at a standard distance of 10 parsecs (32.6 light years) from Earth.

How is the absolute magnitude of the sun calculated?

The absolute magnitude of the sun is calculated by comparing its apparent magnitude (how bright it appears from Earth) to its distance from Earth. This is done using the inverse square law, which states that the apparent brightness of an object decreases with the square of its distance.

What is the absolute magnitude of the sun compared to other stars?

The absolute magnitude of the sun is considered average compared to other stars. It is brighter than smaller, cooler stars (such as red dwarfs) and dimmer than larger, hotter stars (such as blue giants).

Does the absolute magnitude of the sun change?

The absolute magnitude of the sun does not change significantly because its distance from Earth remains relatively constant. However, it can vary slightly due to changes in the sun's luminosity or brightness.

Why is the absolute magnitude of the sun important?

The absolute magnitude of the sun is important because it allows scientists to compare the brightness of stars regardless of their distance from Earth. It also provides valuable information about a star's intrinsic properties, such as its size and temperature.