Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absolute Means the same as?

1. Jun 1, 2004 #1
    In physics, when we say that something is absolute does this means that the something is perfect? Something is total? Something is a quantum? Something is a constant? Something is unchanging? Something is motionless? Something is eternal?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When something is said to be absolute it usually means it remains the same under transformation.
  4. Jun 1, 2004 #3

I know of three basic transformations: translation, rotation and scaling. Do you mean all of these and some more that I don't know about?
  5. Jun 1, 2004 #4
    I'm not sure if 'absolute' means much without defining it in the current context. For instance, does "absolute temperature" relate in any way to "absolute value"?

6. Jun 2, 2004 #5

I think that Symmetry is the main concept that is related to your questions.

If we want to get some useful information out of our explored system, we also need some invariant system (some law) which is related to the measured system.

But, in my opinion, any research must include also our own abilities to research as a legal part of any research.
  7. Jun 2, 2004 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I'm with baffledMatt. I think the concept of "absolute" needs a context to be properly understood. Absolute space and absolute time are other two examples that have little to do with "absolute temperature" and "absolute value".
  8. Jun 2, 2004 #7
    Your statement is clear enough , but does it include perturbations to the "absolute" during transformation yet completing the transformaion in an invariant state?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?