Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Absolute Newtonian time. Independence of space and time

1. Mar 26, 2017 #1
    Hi folks,

Tell me please why in classical Newtonian physics one can say that the space and time are independent? But we have equations of motion which clearly show this dependence (x=Vt; x=x0+1/2at^2+v0t).

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2017 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's not dependence between time and space. That's a dependence between time and the position of a particle that is moving at a specific velocity.

4. Mar 26, 2017 #3
    There is no "t=Ax" term in Newtonian relativity, so this means that time is only coupled to space in one regard (the one that you mention). SR puts this term in, so is really a generalization of Galilean relativity. The term it puts in is responsible for differences in simultaneity between observers.

5. Mar 26, 2017 #4

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Two facts about Newtonian spacetime that are both different from the spacetime of Special Relativity are:
    1. The time between two events is the same in every reference system.
    2. If two events are simultaneous, then the distance between them is the same in every reference frame.

6. Mar 28, 2017 #5

haushofer

Science Advisor

If you have a Cartesian frame {xy}, the x and y-directions are linear independent. But this doesn't mean we cannot introduce functions y(x), i.e. curves describing a relation between x and y.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted