Possible Value(s) for X in |x-3| = -2?

In summary, the Absolute Numbers Problem refers to the challenge of accurately measuring and interpreting absolute numbers in scientific studies and experiments, particularly in fields like psychology and sociology. Factors such as measurement error, sampling bias, and confounding variables can contribute to this problem. Researchers can address it by using multiple measures and statistical techniques. The implications of this problem for scientific research include potential flaws in study findings. To address this, the public should be educated about the complexities and limitations of absolute numbers in scientific studies.
Golden_Ace
The equation |x-3|=-2 is given. Find the possible value(s) of X.

I don't understand how it could equal a negative number but here is my weak attempt.

|x-3|= -2
-|x-3|= 2
-x+3=2
-x=-1
x=1

I substituted x=1 into the equation and all I got was 2 as the answer.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I am doing Gr. 11 Maths

Physics news on Phys.org
The absolute value can never be negative. there is an error with the problem.

1. What is the "Absolute Numbers Problem"?

The Absolute Numbers Problem refers to the challenge of accurately measuring and interpreting absolute numbers in scientific studies and experiments. It is often encountered in fields such as psychology and sociology, where researchers aim to quantify and analyze human behaviors and experiences.

2. What are some factors that contribute to the Absolute Numbers Problem?

There are several factors that can contribute to the Absolute Numbers Problem, including measurement error, sampling bias, and the influence of confounding variables. These can all affect the accuracy and reliability of absolute numbers in scientific research.

3. How can researchers address the Absolute Numbers Problem?

One way to address the Absolute Numbers Problem is to use multiple measures and methods to obtain a more comprehensive understanding of the phenomenon being studied. Researchers can also utilize statistical techniques to control for potential confounding variables and reduce measurement error.

4. What are the implications of the Absolute Numbers Problem for scientific research?

The Absolute Numbers Problem can have significant implications for scientific research, particularly in terms of the validity and generalizability of study findings. If absolute numbers are not accurately measured and interpreted, the conclusions drawn from the research may be flawed or misleading.

5. How can the public be aware of the Absolute Numbers Problem?

It is important for the public to be aware of the Absolute Numbers Problem in order to critically evaluate and interpret scientific information presented to them. This can be achieved through education and dissemination of accurate information about the complexities and limitations of absolute numbers in scientific studies.