Absolute/Percent Uncertainty Help

In summary, the conversation is about finding the absolute and percent uncertainty for two cases, A and B. In case A, the ball is on a string and has a measured length of 3.3 inches. In case B, the ball is on a sensitive spring and bounces between 3 inches and 4 inches, with a middle value of 3.5 inches. The equations for absolute and percent uncertainty are discussed, with an attempt to find the percent uncertainty for case A. However, there is confusion on how to find the absolute uncertainty for case A and how to calculate the percent uncertainty for case B.
Vader07

Homework Statement

In case A on the left the ball is on a string. The ball is measured at 3.3 inches In case B on the right the ball is on a very sensitive spring. The ball keeps bouncing up and down, reaching the extremes. The low extreme is about 3 inches, the middle is 3.5 inches, and upper extreme is 4 inches

I am trying to find the absolute uncertainty and percent uncertainty on both case A and but there are some parts that I am not sure what to do

Homework Equations

Absolute uncertainty:refers to the actual uncertainty in a quantity

Percent uncertainty:

(uncertainty / value) x 100 =

The Attempt at a Solution

for finding percent uncertainty on case A
(0.3/3.3) x 100 = 9.09%

I am confused on what to do afterwards

Physics news on Phys.org
, how do I find the absolute uncertainty on case A? For case B do I just take the difference between the high and low extremes and divide it by 2 to get the absolute uncertainty? For percent uncertainty on case B do I just use the absolute uncertainty and divide it by the middle value (3.5 inches) and multiply by 100?

What is absolute uncertainty?

Absolute uncertainty is the measure of the range of values within which the true value of a measurement is likely to fall. It is represented by the symbol ± and is typically expressed in the same units as the measurement.

What is percent uncertainty?

Percent uncertainty is a measure of the relative error of a measurement. It is calculated by dividing the absolute uncertainty by the measured value and multiplying by 100. This gives a percentage that represents the uncertainty as a proportion of the measured value.

How do I calculate absolute uncertainty?

Absolute uncertainty can be calculated by finding the difference between the highest and lowest possible values of a measurement. This can be done by taking multiple measurements and finding the range, or by using the precision of the measuring instrument.

How do I calculate percent uncertainty?

Percent uncertainty can be calculated by dividing the absolute uncertainty by the measured value and multiplying by 100. This gives a percentage that represents the uncertainty as a proportion of the measured value. The resulting value can also be expressed as a decimal or fraction.

Why is it important to consider uncertainty in scientific measurements?

Uncertainty is an inherent part of all measurements and cannot be completely eliminated. It is important to consider uncertainty in scientific measurements because it allows us to understand the limitations of our data and the degree of confidence we can have in our results. It also enables us to compare and evaluate different measurements, and make informed decisions based on the level of uncertainty in our data.