Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absolute Theorem

1. Feb 19, 2006 #1

Does anybody know what the Absolute Theorem is in logic?? My text box uses it in proofs but I cannot find it anywhere else.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This website:
    that I found by googling "absolute theorem" and "logic" defines an absolute theorem as one whose true false value is alway TRUE for all values of its variables- what I would call a "tautology".
  4. Feb 19, 2006 #3
    Thanks for you response.

What I have is this example that show the following

|- true ≡ A ≡ A

(1) true ≡ false ≡ false <axiom>
    (2) false ≡ false ≡ A ≡ A <absolute theorem>
    (3) true ≡ A ≡ A <Trans + (1, 2)>

My question is where does line 2 come from? Looks like it is coming from a combination of the formula I am trying to prove and line 1.
  5. Feb 19, 2006 #4

Gold Member

Are you leaving out grouping symbols? Can you replace them or give the rules for replacing them? What does

true ≡ A

6. Feb 19, 2006 #5
    no I am not leaving out grouping symbols. This is how this is in our text/course notes.

as for what true ≡ A mean. Offically I do not know. They want us to learn the rules before we learn what True and False mean.

I belive A would evalute to equal true. So so lost.

7. Feb 19, 2006 #6

Gold Member

Ouch. Do those notes happen to be available online?

Well, if equivalence is a binary operation, there must be grouping symbols or rules for grouping. I guess they leave them out since ((A ≡ B) ≡ C) -|- (A ≡ (B ≡ C)), but I imagine it might make a difference in which rules you can apply and how. Plus, they're just different formulas! Ack.

It looks like they just did this:

(1) true ≡ (false ≡ false) <axiom>
    (2) (false ≡ false) ≡ (A ≡ A) <absolute theorem>
    (3) true ≡ (A ≡ A) <Trans + (1, 2)>

Is that what Trans does -- allow you to substitute equivalent formulas? Can you just copy the Trans rule? Is it

A ≡ B, B ≡ C |- A ≡ C

Is Absolute Theorem a theorem or a rule? Is the line exactly the same in every example proof? What is A called? Formula, sentence, proposition? What are true and false called? The same thing, something-values?
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
  8. Feb 19, 2006 #7
    I tried to upload them but it is two large.

Think you can get the notes here.

Does order of operations matter when proving?? We can remove barkets based on the rules of which connectives have a higher priority.

I cannot find what the absolute theorom is. it is not listed at all.

Thanks for you help
  9. Feb 19, 2006 #8

Gold Member

Yeah, I found those and thought they might be it. :smile: I'm reading them now.
    Yeah, I'm just now looking for that info so I can restore other brackets.
    From the looks of things so far, I think it might be a Γ-theorem when Γ is empty. Oh, rock on:
  10. Feb 19, 2006 #9
    Thanks for you help.

When I saw absolute theorem in the annotation I thought it be defined in the notes. But I searched and read and could not find it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?