What is the Absolute Theorem in Logic?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Absolute Theorem in logic and its application in proofs. The speaker shares a definition of the theorem found online and asks for clarification on how it is applied in a specific example. They also mention their confusion about the notation used in the notes and the lack of information about the Absolute Theorem in them. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing their gratitude for the other person's help.
powp
Hello

Does anybody know what the Absolute Theorem is in logic?? My text box uses it in proofs but I cannot find it anywhere else.

Thanks

P

Physics news on Phys.org
This website:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=111324
that I found by googling "absolute theorem" and "logic" defines an absolute theorem as one whose true false value is alway TRUE for all values of its variables- what I would call a "tautology".

Thanks for you response.

What I have is this example that show the following

|- true ≡ A ≡ A

(1) true ≡ false ≡ false <axiom>
(2) false ≡ false ≡ A ≡ A <absolute theorem>
(3) true ≡ A ≡ A <Trans + (1, 2)>

My question is where does line 2 come from? Looks like it is coming from a combination of the formula I am trying to prove and line 1.

Are you leaving out grouping symbols? Can you replace them or give the rules for replacing them? What does

true ≡ A

mean?

no I am not leaving out grouping symbols. This is how this is in our text/course notes.

as for what true ≡ A mean. Offically I do not know. They want us to learn the rules before we learn what True and False mean.

I believe A would evalute to equal true. So so lost.

Thanks

Ouch. Do those notes happen to be available online?

Well, if equivalence is a binary operation, there must be grouping symbols or rules for grouping. I guess they leave them out since ((A ≡ B) ≡ C) -|- (A ≡ (B ≡ C)), but I imagine it might make a difference in which rules you can apply and how. Plus, they're just different formulas! Ack.

It looks like they just did this:

(1) true ≡ (false ≡ false) <axiom>
(2) (false ≡ false) ≡ (A ≡ A) <absolute theorem>
(3) true ≡ (A ≡ A) <Trans + (1, 2)>

Is that what Trans does -- allow you to substitute equivalent formulas? Can you just copy the Trans rule? Is it

A ≡ B, B ≡ C |- A ≡ C

Is Absolute Theorem a theorem or a rule? Is the line exactly the same in every example proof? What is A called? Formula, sentence, proposition? What are true and false called? The same thing, something-values?

Last edited:
I tried to upload them but it is two large.

Think you can get the notes here.

http://www.cs.yorku.ca/~gt/papers/1090-notes-2005-I.pdf

Does order of operations matter when proving?? We can remove barkets based on the rules of which connectives have a higher priority.

I cannot find what the absolute theorom is. it is not listed at all.

Thanks for you help

Last edited by a moderator:
powp said:
I tried to upload them but it is two large.

Think you can get the notes here.

http://www.cs.yorku.ca/~gt/papers/1090-notes-2005-I.pdf
Yeah, I found those and thought they might be it. :smile: I'm reading them now.
Does order of operations matter when proving?? We can remove barkets based on the rules of which connectives have a higher priority.
Yeah, I'm just now looking for that info so I can restore other brackets.
I cannot find what the absolute theorom is. it is not listed at all.
From the looks of things so far, I think it might be a Γ-theorem when Γ is empty. Oh, rock on:
0.4.5 Definition. (Theorems) Any formula A that appears in a -proof is called a -theorem.
We write ⊢ A to indicate this. If is empty ( = ∅) —i.e., we have no special assumptions—
then we simply write ⊢ A and call A just “a theorem”.
Caution! We may also do this out of laziness and call a -theorem just “a theorem”, if the
context makes clear which 6= ∅ we have in mind.
We say that A is an absolute, or logical theorem whenever is empty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for you help.

When I saw absolute theorem in the annotation I thought it be defined in the notes. But I searched and read and could not find it.

Thanks

What is the Absolute Theorem?

The Absolute Theorem is a mathematical principle that states that any mathematical system can be described by a set of axioms, which are statements that are assumed to be true without proof. These axioms are used to derive all other statements in the system.

Who discovered the Absolute Theorem?

The Absolute Theorem was first proposed by the mathematician David Hilbert in the late 19th century. However, it has been refined and expanded upon by many other mathematicians since then.

What is the purpose of the Absolute Theorem?

The purpose of the Absolute Theorem is to provide a foundation for mathematics by establishing a set of fundamental axioms that can be used to prove all other statements in a mathematical system. It also helps mathematicians understand the structure and limitations of different mathematical systems.

Is the Absolute Theorem universally accepted?

While the Absolute Theorem is widely accepted by mathematicians, there are some who argue that it is limited in its scope and cannot be applied to all mathematical systems. There are ongoing debates and discussions about the validity and usefulness of the Absolute Theorem in the mathematics community.

How is the Absolute Theorem used in practical applications?

The Absolute Theorem is primarily used within the field of mathematics to understand and prove mathematical theories. However, it has also had some impact on other fields, such as computer science, where it has been used to improve algorithms and develop more efficient computational methods.