Confused about Absolute Value of Inverse Trigonometric Functions?

In summary, the function sin-1(sin(x)) cannot be simplified to x for any x that is inputted into sin-1(sinx). The domain of sinx was restricted to -pi/2 <= x <= pi/2 so that the function defined on this interval is monotonic increasing. The derivative of sin-1(sin(x)) is undefined at odd multiples of pi/2.
deancodemo

Homework Statement

Find [tex]\frac{d}{dx} \sin^{-1}(\sin x)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, I know that the above expression simplifies directly to [tex]\frac{d}{dx} x = 1[/tex], but I attempted it the long way. Here it is:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \sin^{-1}(\sin x)[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{\cos x}{\sqrt{1 - \sin^2 x}}[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{\cos x}{\sqrt{\cos^2 x}}[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{\cos x}{|\cos x|}[/tex]

[tex]= 1 \mbox{ if } \cos x > 0[/tex]

[tex]= -1 \mbox{ if } \cos x < 0[/tex]

I know that this is incorrect! The answer should be 1. Did I incorrectly use the definition of [tex]\sqrt{x^2} = |x|[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
do you have any restrictions on the domain of your function?

No. Well, what I mean is that you can put in any value of x. Then -1 <= sinx <= 1 which is the desired domain for arcsin x, then arcsin x produces values such that -pi/2 <= arcsin x <= pi/2.

Ok. We know that the inverse of sinx with which we usually work is defined on the interval [-pi/2,pi/2]. So, in this case, we are basically working with values of x on this interval, where cosx is always positive.So, basically we can put in only values of x from -pi/2 to pi/2, and cos x for all these values is always positive, so you never get cosx<0 for these values of x.

Last edited:
Your derivation the "long way" was actually completely correct, as was your usage of absolute value in taking the square root of a squared real variable.

It is your assumption that sin-1(sin(x)) = x that is incorrect. (please excuse my lack of formatting; sin-1(x) is sine inverse)
f-1(f(x)) = x assuming that f-1(x) is the true inverse of f.

sin-1(x) is given a domain restriction ( -pi/2 <= x <= pi/2 ) because the actual inverse of sin(x) is not a function, stemming from the fact that sin(x) is not a one-to-one function. So, sin-1(x) is the inverse of just a part of the sine function.

Before we even involve any calculus, you can see that sin-1(sin(x)) is not always true with this counterexample:

sin-1(sin(3pi/2)) = -pi/2

Now, while 3pi/2 and -pi/2 are of course two ways to state the measure of the same angle, they are not the same value (obviously, 4.712... is not equal to -1.571...)

So, the expression sin-1(sin(x)), using sin-1(x) as it is normally defined, cannot be simplified to x.

Going back to the result of your derivation, an expression like cos(x)/abs(cos(x)) can be thought of as the function sign(cos(x)), except when cos(x)=0. So you are in fact correct in your inequality statements at the end of your posting.

Now, note that,

cos(x) > 0 when -pi/2 + 2pi(n) < x < pi/2 + 2pi(n) where n is an integer

cos(x) < 0 when pi/2 + 2pi(n) < x < -pi/2 + 2pi(n) where n is an integer

If you graph the sin-1(sin(x)) function, you will see that it is a jagged-looking periodic function with an amplitude of pi/2 (expected from the range of sin-1(x)) that is basically a piecewise function constructed of lines with the slope of 1 and -1 in alternating intervals, corresponding to the sign of the cosine function at each interval. So, looking at the definition of the derivative as the slope of a function at a point, it fits with your conclusion perfectly.

Notice that if cos(x) = 0 (which happens when x is equal to odd multiples of pi/2), the expression you found seems that it would be undefined. That is also a correct result, and you would also notice on the graph of sin-1(sin(x)) that the function is not differentiable at the sharp turns that occur when x is equal to an odd multiple of pi/2.

As sutupidmath said, if you restrict the domain of the function to -pi/2 < x < pi/2, cos(x) will always be positive, then sin-1(sin(x)) will be equal to x, and the derivative will be 1. But if you want to take the derivate for the function sin-1(sin(x)) with a domain of all real numbers (the same domain as the inner function sin(x)), then your way, once again, is correct, with the added restriction at the end that the derivative is undefined at odd multiples of pi/2.

Last edited:
meiso, what you said was completely correct. I now understand where I went wrong.

You cannot simply deduce sin-1(sinx) = x for any value of x that you put into sin-1(sinx).
The domain of sinx was restriced to -pi/2 <= x <= pi/2 so that the function defined on this interval is monotonic increasing and hence we can find the inverse function in this domain. This means that sin-1 x has a range equal to the restricted domain of sinx (-pi/2 <= x <= pi/2).
I was getting confused was because I thought that sin-1(sinx) = x and hence the gradient of sin-1(sinx) is always 1. But it isn't.

Here is the graph of sin-1 x with alternating gradients at the intervals you specified:
http://www.decademoon.110mb.com/graph.png

Thankyou very much for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is absolute value confusion?

Absolute value confusion, also known as absolute value misconception, is a common mistake made when working with absolute values in mathematics. It occurs when a person mistakenly believes that the absolute value of a negative number is always positive.

Why is absolute value confusion important to understand?

Understanding absolute value confusion is important because it can lead to incorrect solutions and answers in mathematical problems. It is also a fundamental concept in many mathematical and scientific fields, so understanding it is crucial for further study and application.

What are some common examples of absolute value confusion?

One common example of absolute value confusion is when someone solves an equation like |x| = -3 and mistakenly believes that x = 3. In reality, the absolute value of -3 is also 3, so x can also equal -3. Another example is when someone incorrectly graphs a function like y = |x| + 2, thinking that it is always increasing.

How can absolute value confusion be avoided?

To avoid absolute value confusion, it is important to understand the definition of absolute value and how it works in mathematical operations. Remember that the absolute value of a number is its distance from 0 on the number line, so it is always positive or 0. Additionally, always check your solutions and answers to make sure they make sense in the context of the problem.

Are there any real-world applications for absolute value confusion?

Absolute value confusion can occur in a wide range of real-world applications, including in economics, physics, and engineering. For example, in economics, absolute value confusion can lead to incorrect interpretations of data on profits or losses. In physics, it can result in incorrect calculations of velocity or acceleration. In engineering, it can lead to errors in designing structures or systems.