Absolute Value Equation. (alg.2)

In summary, an absolute value equation is an equation with an absolute value expression denoted by bars around the variable. It has two possible solutions, one positive and one negative. To solve, isolate the absolute value expression and create two separate equations with positive and negative values. It can only have two solutions and can have no solution if the absolute value expression is set equal to a negative number. To graph, rewrite in the form y = |x| + b and plot the y-intercept and use a slope of 1 to draw a V-shaped graph with the vertex being the point where the graph changes direction.
njkid
I got this wrong is my quiz and i still don't get it.

Find the value of k so that equation has the solution of -8.

|x-2| = k

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the value of k when x = -8?

Oh... i put -8 into k... that's why.

1. What is an absolute value equation?

An absolute value equation is an equation that contains an absolute value expression, which is denoted by the bars surrounding the variable. The absolute value of a number is its distance from zero on a number line. In an absolute value equation, the variable can have two possible solutions, one positive and one negative.

2. How do you solve an absolute value equation?

To solve an absolute value equation, isolate the absolute value expression on one side of the equation. Then, write two separate equations, one with the positive value of the absolute value expression and one with the negative value. Solve these equations separately to find the two possible solutions for the variable.

3. Can an absolute value equation have more than two solutions?

No, an absolute value equation can only have two solutions, one positive and one negative. This is because the absolute value of a number is always a positive value, so there can only be two possible values for the variable.

4. How do you graph an absolute value equation?

To graph an absolute value equation, first rewrite it in the form y = |x| + b. The value of b will determine the y-intercept of the graph. Then, plot the y-intercept and use the slope of 1 to draw a V-shaped graph. The vertex of the V will be the point where the graph changes direction.

5. Can an absolute value equation have no solution?

Yes, an absolute value equation can have no solution if the absolute value expression is set equal to a negative number. Since the absolute value of any number is always positive, there will be no solution for the variable in this case.