Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absolute Value graph.

1. Feb 25, 2007 #1
    I need some help graphing an Absolute value. I know what it look like from a graphing calculator but I don't understand how to get to the answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

With one like that the best method is to break it into regions. Just get a simple linear function for each of the following three regions and you're done.

1. x < -1
    2. -1 <= x <= 1
    3. x > 1
  4. Feb 25, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Following uart, adhere to this algorithm when doing abs.val problems:
    1. Determine the zeros of each absolute value term, and mark these off on a number line.
    2.Within each region, every absolute value term is now easily converted into a non-absolute-alue term
    3. Simplify the expresion you have gotten for each interval, and draw that portion of the graph.
    4. Iterate with the next region.
  5. Feb 25, 2007 #4
    graphing inequalities in 2 variables

You can plot your inequality on www.webgraphing.com. There, you will get both the plot of the curve and the region where the inequality holds. Just use the link to "Inequality Graphing in Two Variables." To represent |x|, use the notation abs(x).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?