1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absolute Value Problem

1. Oct 21, 2011 #1
    I need to find the absolute value of b(t):

[tex]b(t)=a(t)[1+e^{-j2\pi tT}][/tex]

Here is the answer in the textbook:
    [tex]\therefore \left | b(t) \right |=\left | a(t) \right |\sqrt{2(1+cos(2\pi tT)}2|cos(\pi tT)|[/tex]

However I got a different answer when working it out, and can't understand how they got to that result from the textbook.
    Here is my working out:

[tex]
    b(t)=a(t) + a(t)e^{-j2\pi tT}=a(t)+a(t)[cos(2\pi tT) - jsin(2\pi tT)]=a(t)+a(t)cos(2\pi tT)-a(t)jsin(2\pi tT)
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \therefore |b(t)|=|a(t)|+|a(t)cos(2\pi tT)|+|a(t)sin(2\pi tT)|
    [/tex]

Please let me know where I'm going wrong.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You can't do that. It's not true that |a|=|b|+|c|... It's not true at all. You need to use the very definition of modulus:

[tex]|a+bi|=\sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/tex]

4. Oct 22, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the reply, I tried it with that formula, however I still don't get the same answer as the textbook. Here's my working out:

[tex]b(t)=a(t)+a(t)cos(2\pi tT)-a(t)jsin(2\pi tT)[/tex]

[tex]\therefore |b(t)|=\sqrt{[a(t)+a(t)cos(2\pi tT)]^{2}+[a(t)sin(2\pi tT)]^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]=\sqrt{a^{2}(t)+2a(t)cos(2\pi tT)+a^{2}(t)cos^{2}(2\pi tT)+a^{2}(t)sin^{2}(2\pi tT)}[/tex]

[tex]=\sqrt{a^{2}(t)[1+2\sqrt{a(t)}cos(2\pi tT) + cos^{2}(2\pi tT)+sin^{2}(2\pi tT)]}[/tex]

[tex]=|a(t)|\sqrt{2+2\sqrt{a(t)}cos(2\pi tT)}[/tex]

[tex]=|a(t)|\sqrt{2[1+\sqrt{a(t)}cos(2\pi tT)]}[/tex]

5. Oct 22, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That second term should have an [itex]a(t)^2[/itex].

6. Oct 22, 2011 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Also [itex]cos^2(2\pi tT)+ sin^2(2\pi tT)= 1[/itex] so what you have reduces to
    [tex]a(T)\sqrt{2(1+ cos(2\pi tT))}[/tex]

By the way, this has nothing to do with your question but that "tT" looks very strange to me. If it were t/T, then your sin and cosine functions would have a period of T, which I would interpret as a period of time. The way you have it their period is 1/T. It strikes me as strange to all something with units of "1/time", T.

7. Oct 24, 2011 #6
    You're completely right, the T there is actually frequency which is 1/T, I should have used a different letter other than T (which ofcourse usually means period).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook