Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absolute Value problems Please help!

1. Jan 2, 2005 #1
    (|2x-3| + x) / (x^2 - 3x + 2) < 1

|(x^2 - 5x + 4) / ( x^2 - 4)| =< 1

Can somebody help me with this quadratic inequalities, please... If you have time, please also give me an idea of how you solved them... Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2005 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I've never done that before but here's how I would proceed...

[tex]|2x-3|+x < x^2-3x+2 \Leftrightarrow |2x-3| < x^2-4x+2 \Leftrightarrow -x^2+4-2<2x-3<x^2-4x+2 \Leftrightarrow -x^2+2x+1<0<x^2-6x+5[/tex]

We want to find the x satisfying both these inequalities at the same time. Use the formula to find the roots of a quadratic poly on both inequalities and help yourself with the graph of the functions to find the wanted intervals. I find that the solution is the union of the intervals [itex] (1-\sqrt{2},1)U(1+\sqrt{2},5)[/itex]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  4. Jan 3, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A continuous function can change sign only where it is equal to 0 and functions like these are continuous everywhere they are defined- that is everywhere except where a denominator is 0.

A very good way of solving such problems is: first determine where they are equal to 0. Next determine where they are not defined- where the denominators are equal to 0. Those numbers divide the number line into intervals. Finally, choose one number in each of the intervals and check to see whether the inequality is true or false at that point. If the inequality is true for that point, it is true for the entire interval.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?