Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Absolute value question

1. Jan 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

25|x| = x^2 + 144

2. Relevant equations

none

3. The attempt at a solution

okay well, i'm not quite sure what to do, do i try to isolate the |x|? and then break it up into a postive and negative?

|x| = (x^2 + 144)/25 ?

but from here i become lost.....

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Why not do what you just said? You have "isolated" |x|, now break it into positive and negative parts.

If [itex]x\ge 0[/itex] then |x|= x so the equation becomes [itex]x= (x^2+ 144)/25[/itex] or [itex]25x= x^2+ 144[/itex]. Solve that quadratic equation. Remember that only [itex]x\ge 0[/itex] are valid solutions.

If x< 0, then |x|= -x so the equation becomes [itex]-x= (x^2+ 144)/25[/itex] or [itex]-25x= x^2+ 144[/itex]. Solve that quadratic equation. Remember that only x< 0 are valid solutions.

You might notice that it is easier to first break into two cases and then solve for x.

4. Jan 5, 2008 #3
    okay so should my answer be x = +/- 16, +/- 9?

5. Jan 5, 2008 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

It's quite easy to check yourself =P Especially when checking one of the positive solutions gets rid of the negative counterpart as well.

6. Jan 5, 2008 #5
    k thx

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook