1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absolute value question

1. May 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    how do I solve this? I am confused...
    |2x - 1| = x^2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    when i tried it I ended up with a solution set of (1,-1). But the official answer is quite different so I am confused!!
  2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

The absolute value function is defined as follows:

[tex]|x| = x, x\geq 0[/tex]

[tex]|x|= -x, x< 0[/tex]

But you have 2x-1 so replace the x in the absolute value for 2x-1. Try this and then solve both equations [itex]2x-1=x^2[/itex] and [itex]-(2x-1)=x^2[/itex]. Once you find your solutions, remember to be sure to scrap the solutions that aren't valid. That is, if you get an answer of -10 for [itex]2x-1=x^2[/itex] then you know it's not valid because we are assuming 2x-1>0, or, x>1/2.
  4. May 28, 2010 #3
    You could also approach this graphically.

Imagine the line y=2x-1, that's a line with a positive slope and intercepts the y-axis at (0,-1). Now, |2x-1| refers to the absolute values of y (i.e. |y|) so you have to reflect what is below the x-axis in the x-axis itself to get your |y|=|2x-1| which looks like a 'V' shaped graph. The function of the graph that you obtain can be defined as follows:

[tex] y = 2x-1 for x >= \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

[tex] y = 1 - 2x for x <= \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

Now all you have to do is sketch the graph of [tex] x^2 [/tex] on top of that and simply determine where your V-shaped graph (y=|2x-1|) is equal to the graph of y=x^2 by finding the points of intersection.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook