Absolute Value Question: Solving |2x - 1| = x^2 with Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the equation |2x - 1| = x^2 and the use of absolute value functions. It suggests replacing x with 2x-1 and solving for both positive and negative values, as well as approaching the problem graphically.
majormuss

Homework Statement

how do I solve this? I am confused...
|2x - 1| = x^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

when i tried it I ended up with a solution set of (1,-1). But the official answer is quite different so I am confused!

Physics news on Phys.org
The absolute value function is defined as follows:

[tex]|x| = x, x\geq 0[/tex]

[tex]|x|= -x, x< 0[/tex]

But you have 2x-1 so replace the x in the absolute value for 2x-1. Try this and then solve both equations [itex]2x-1=x^2[/itex] and [itex]-(2x-1)=x^2[/itex]. Once you find your solutions, remember to be sure to scrap the solutions that aren't valid. That is, if you get an answer of -10 for [itex]2x-1=x^2[/itex] then you know it's not valid because we are assuming 2x-1>0, or, x>1/2.

You could also approach this graphically.

Imagine the line y=2x-1, that's a line with a positive slope and intercepts the y-axis at (0,-1). Now, |2x-1| refers to the absolute values of y (i.e. |y|) so you have to reflect what is below the x-axis in the x-axis itself to get your |y|=|2x-1| which looks like a 'V' shaped graph. The function of the graph that you obtain can be defined as follows:

[tex] y = 2x-1 for x >= \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

and
[tex] y = 1 - 2x for x <= \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

Now all you have to do is sketch the graph of [tex] x^2 [/tex] on top of that and simply determine where your V-shaped graph (y=|2x-1|) is equal to the graph of y=x^2 by finding the points of intersection.

What is absolute value?

Absolute value is a mathematical concept that represents the distance of a number from zero on a number line. It is always positive and does not take into account the direction of the number.

How do you calculate absolute value?

The absolute value of a number is determined by removing any negative sign, if present, from the number. This means that the absolute value of a positive number is the same as the original number, while the absolute value of a negative number is the positive counterpart of that number.

What is the purpose of absolute value?

Absolute value is used to represent the magnitude or size of a number without regard to its direction. It is often used in solving equations and inequalities, as well as in measuring distances and magnitudes in science and engineering.

Can absolute value be a negative number?

No, absolute value is always positive or zero. The concept of absolute value does not take into account the direction of a number, so it cannot be negative.

How is absolute value used in real life?

Absolute value has many practical applications in real life. It is used in measuring distances, calculating speed and velocity, and in determining the magnitude of values in physics and engineering. It is also used in solving problems in economics, such as calculating profit and loss.