1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absolute value

1. Oct 6, 2008 #1
    Prove the following: if [tex] |a| \leq b [/tex] then [tex] -b \leq a \leq b [/tex] (where [tex] b \geq 0 [/tex]).

So [tex] a \leq b [/tex] and [tex] -a \leq b [/tex]. Then [tex] -b \leq a [/tex] so that [tex] -b \leq a \leq b [/tex].

Suppose that [tex] -b \leq a \leq b [/tex]. Then [tex] a \leq b [/tex] and [tex] -a \leq b [/tex] so that [tex] |a| \leq b [/tex].

Is this a correct proof? You don't have to consider cases (e.g. [tex] a <0, \ a = 0, \ a > 0 [/tex])?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's fine if you already know |a|<=b implies a<=b and -a<=b. If you don't know that you might have to use cases to prove that.

4. Oct 6, 2008 #3
    So if you know that already, then it is ok to deduce from [tex] -b \leq a \leq b [/tex] that [tex] a \leq b [/tex] and [tex] -a \leq b [/tex]? The sign does not matter?

5. Oct 6, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's definitely ok. That's what -b<=a<=b MEANS. I'm talking about saying |a|<=b implies -a<=b and a<=b.

6. Oct 6, 2008 #5
    So if we have [tex] -b \leq a \leq b [/tex] and [tex] a = -5 [/tex] then we can say that [tex] -a \leq b [/tex]?

Similarly, if [tex] a = 5 [/tex] then [tex] -a \leq b [/tex]?

It doesn't matter what the sign is?

Thanks

7. Oct 6, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm saying I think you should PROVE |a|<=b implies -a<=b and a<=b by splitting it into cases.

8. Oct 6, 2008 #7
    but if you already know that then post #5 doesn't depend on the sign of [tex] a [/tex]?

thanks

9. Oct 6, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you already know that |a|<=b implies -a<=b and a<=b then this whole thread should have been over at post 2. I already said the proof is fine in that case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?