Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absolute Zero and Time?

1. Feb 23, 2008 #1
    (i have next to no knowledge about physics so please don't beat me down my there are flaws in my theories)

as they say, time is defined by movement. you might say, "my eraser is perfectly still in my freezer (why you would put it there is beyond my comprehension)" be we are still moving on tectonic plates, when we are asleep blood circulates through our system and so on, but absolute zero (estimated at around -273.15C and further, and is not physically reachable) is when atoms are estimated to have the lowest amount of energy. I ask, (in theory) if it got so cold to a point where there was no more energy (i estimated at -546.3 C...double absolute zero) would it no longer exist, since time is defined by movement, and as it has no energy therefor movement?
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

Who says that? It's wrong.
  4. Feb 23, 2008 #3

Science Advisor

Time is used to quantify the motions of objects, it is not defined by the motion.

5. Feb 23, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"I ask, (in theory) if it got so cold to a point where there was no more energy (i estimated at -546.3 C...double absolute zero)"

A system with negative absolute temperature is actually hotter than any system with positive temperature. You're going to have to clarify what you mean here.
  6. Feb 23, 2008 #5

Absolute zero, by definition is the "temperature" at which no movement exists relative to any thing.
  7. Feb 23, 2008 #6
    Does'nt the scientific method break down at absolute zero, and therefor it being pointless to question the logic of a situation therein using said method?

You could say that "As we approach.." and "It appears.." but any information about that point can never be known with any certainty.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?