Absolute zero calibration

In summary: I think the difference is negligible given the significant figures you are using. After all, -375.5 C is only two sig figs, while 100.0 C is four.In summary, the calibration yield for the constant-volume gas thermometer results in an absolute zero value of -375.5◦C. The pressure at the boiling point of water is 1.617 atm.
AHinkle

Homework Statement

A constant-volume gas thermometer is cal-
ibrated in dry ice (which is carbon dioxide
in the solid state and has a temperature of
−80◦C) and in boiling ethyl alcohol (78◦C).
The two pressures are 1 atm and 1.542 atm.
What value of absolute zero does the cali-
bration yield?
Answer in units of ◦C.
003 (part 2 of 2) 10.0 points
What is the pressure at the boiling point of
water?
Answer in units of atm.

Homework Equations

y-y1=m(x-x1)
m = dy/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

pt 1.
(-80C,1.0atm)
(78C,1.542atm)

m = (1.542-1.0)/(78-(-80)) = .0034

y-1.542 = .0034(x-78)

y-1.542 = .0034x -.2652

y = .0034x + 1.2768

if we assume temp v. pressure is linear.. and according to the text this is a good assumption

so i put the pressure equal to zero at absolute zero

0 = .0034x +1.2768
-1.2768 = .0034x
x = -1.2768/.0034 = -375.5294 C
this is wrong according to the homework program

but!... I got the second half right using that equation
boiling point of water in C is 100C so..

y=.0034(100) +1.2768 = 1.6168 atm

and this leads me to believe that my equation is correct.. what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
AHinkle said:

The Attempt at a Solution

pt 1.
(-80C,1.0atm)
(78C,1.542atm)

m = (1.542-1.0)/(78-(-80)) = .0034
If that were actually 1.000 atm (is it?), you would be dividing 0.542/158. How many significant figures are appropriate when you do that calculation? This will change your values slightly.

Your answer of -375 C is only slightly off from what it should be given this data.

1. What is absolute zero calibration?

Absolute zero calibration is the process of measuring and adjusting instruments or devices to ensure they are accurately reading or recording temperatures at absolute zero, which is the lowest possible temperature that can be reached, at which point molecular motion stops.

2. Why is it important to calibrate to absolute zero?

Calibrating to absolute zero is important because it ensures the accuracy and reliability of temperature readings and recordings. This is especially crucial in scientific experiments and processes where precise temperature measurements are necessary.

3. How is absolute zero calibration performed?

Absolute zero calibration can be performed using various methods depending on the instrument or device being calibrated. Common methods include using a thermocouple, thermistor or resistance thermometer, and adjusting the instrument's reading based on the known temperature at absolute zero (0 degrees Kelvin or -273.15 degrees Celsius).

4. How often should instruments be calibrated to absolute zero?

The frequency of absolute zero calibration depends on the specific instrument and its usage. In general, it is recommended to calibrate instruments at least once a year, but more frequent calibration may be necessary for instruments that are used frequently or in critical processes.

5. What are the consequences of not calibrating to absolute zero?

Not calibrating to absolute zero can result in inaccurate temperature measurements and recordings, which can lead to errors in scientific experiments or processes. This can result in wasted time, resources, and potentially compromise the validity of research findings.