Can Gas Become Solid at Absolute Zero in a Bottle?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gas entering a bottle at high temperature and low pressure, and whether it will turn into a solid at absolute zero. The participants also touch upon topics such as Bose-Einstein condensate and the behavior of particles at absolute zero. There is also speculation about the possibility of achieving absolute zero and its potential effects on energy and matter.
gateman234

Homework Statement

ive been thinking about this for some time but can't find an answer...
gas enters a bottle at a very low pressure, and high temperature, to maximise space between particles. the bottle is then sealed off and the temperture drops to absolute zero, does the gas become solid?

Homework Equations

none?

The Attempt at a Solution

confused, if the gas turns to solid there would be a massive vacuum of space surounding it, and particles move from high pressure to low preesure. but at absolute zero particles don't move so a solid might in the first place be unabtainible

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason particles move from high to low pressure is because they aren't being hit by other particles as much in the low pressure area, and therefore are pushed towards it by the high pressure area particles. If there is no temperature, absolute zero, there is also no motion of the particles, so a particle won't be pushed into the vacuum.

As for whether or not the gas will become a solid, I'm not entirely sure. I think that once they get very close to absolute zero they become a Bose-Einstein condensate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose_einstein_condensate"

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolute zero of course is defined as the temperature at which all molecular motion ceases. At this point the energy contained within the atom/molecule would be 0.00 E-999... . And with the gaseous state having the most energy (Except for plasma, which is a gas heated until the energy contained within excites electrons enough to cause them to be ejected from orbit around the nucleus) and liquid state being a step down in energy from a gas and solid state containing less energy than a liquid it seems to me the gas entering said bottle will change its state to a liquid. Even Hydrogen atoms have a melting point 0f 14.01 K would release enough energy during its phase change from gas to liquid and possibly liquid to solid (Though the freezing point is unknown, but is around 14.01 K) to raise the temperature above 0 K. Now in my personal opinion (Formed by my knowledge thus far) I do not believe 0 K can be obtained (0.1 E-999 K maybe, but not truly 0 K).

To modern science we believe Einstein's relativity to be true and the law of the conservation of matter to be true. My theory is that if 0 K were achieved the energy contained within an atom or molecule would be converted into matter, which is "impossible" as of now. The other aspect is that we have yet to identify what energy "is" (Its composition and properties) and until then will always wonder about Absolute Zero and its effects.

1. What is absolute zero in a bottle?

Absolute zero in a bottle refers to the theoretical concept of achieving a temperature of absolute zero, or 0 Kelvin (-273.15 degrees Celsius), inside a closed container or bottle. This means that all molecular motion would come to a complete stop, resulting in the lowest possible temperature that can be achieved.

2. Is it possible to achieve absolute zero in a bottle?

No, it is not possible to achieve absolute zero in a bottle or any other closed system. This is because as you approach absolute zero, the molecules of the substance would reach their lowest possible energy state and cease to be in a liquid or gaseous form, making it impossible for them to be contained in a bottle.

3. What are the practical applications of absolute zero in a bottle?

While it is not possible to achieve absolute zero in a bottle, the concept has been used in various scientific research and experiments. It has helped scientists understand the behavior of matter at extremely low temperatures and has led to advancements in fields such as cryogenics and quantum mechanics.

4. How is absolute zero in a bottle different from absolute zero in the universe?

Absolute zero in the universe refers to the lowest possible temperature that can be achieved in the entire universe, whereas absolute zero in a bottle is limited to a closed container or system. Additionally, the temperature of absolute zero in the universe is constantly changing due to the expansion of the universe, while absolute zero in a bottle would remain constant.

5. Can absolute zero in a bottle be used to create perpetual motion?

No, achieving absolute zero in a bottle does not mean that the molecules inside the container would stop moving completely. Quantum mechanical effects would still cause slight movements, making perpetual motion impossible. Additionally, the laws of thermodynamics state that it is impossible to create perpetual motion.