Absolute Zero : What keeps Helium from becoming solid?

In summary, the conversation is about the properties of Helium and its ability to remain in a liquid state at 0K. The question is posed about what prevents Helium from solidifying, and the discussion revolves around the idea that its lack of molecular bonding and presence of zero point energy allows it to remain in a liquid state even at 1atm pressure. The speaker acknowledges that they should have researched more before asking the question.
BigRedRod
I'm guessing this most likely has something some to do with Helium's superfluidity, but I'm still managing to draw a blank on what exactly stops it solidifying.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Absolute Zero : What keeps Helium from becoming solid?
At what pressure ?

I was under the impression that solid helium was just out of the question at any pressure. Although my own search has revealed otherwise and your question points out similar.

Lets say 1atm, everything is solid at 0K except Helium which is still merrily a liquid.

My thoughts are currently along the lines that He doesn't form molecules (like Hydrogen) so it is left to interact with other He particles only via Van der Waals forces. At 0k the atoms in the (now liquid) helium have no kinetic energy. No energy except for zero point energy.

Am I right in concluding that at 1atm, the zero point energy of helium gives it enough KE to avoid forming into a solid structure?

Cheers, I guess I Should have searched a bit harder before asking

1. What is absolute zero?

Absolute zero is the lowest possible temperature on the Kelvin scale, which is equivalent to -273.15 degrees Celsius or -459.67 degrees Fahrenheit. It is the point at which all molecular motion theoretically stops.

2. Why is helium used to demonstrate absolute zero?

Helium is used to demonstrate absolute zero because it has the lowest boiling point of all the elements, making it easier to reach and maintain extremely low temperatures.

3. How is helium kept from becoming solid at absolute zero?

Helium is kept from becoming solid at absolute zero because it is a noble gas with a full outer electron shell, making it highly resistant to changes in temperature and pressure. Additionally, helium atoms do not have the necessary interactions with each other to form a solid lattice structure.

4. What happens to helium when it reaches absolute zero?

At absolute zero, helium becomes a superfluid, meaning it has zero viscosity and can flow without any resistance. This is due to the unique quantum mechanical properties of helium atoms at extremely low temperatures.

5. Can absolute zero ever be reached?

No, absolute zero is a theoretical concept and cannot be reached in practice. However, scientists have been able to reach temperatures extremely close to absolute zero, such as 0.0000001 Kelvin, in laboratory settings.