Exploring Absolutely Stunning Plot of Random Sequence (Pic Included)

In summary, the conversation discusses a plot of a "random" sequence that was created by generating 10,000 waves of varying heights and adding them with adjacent random numbers. The resulting plot shows a peculiar pattern that resembles wave and diffraction patterns. The conversation also mentions the possibility of this pattern being caused by rounding in the data.
Nano-Passion
Absolutely Stunning Plot of a "Random" Sequence (Picture Included)--Need Explanation

So I created 10000 waves of varying heights, 50% of the waves were 2 feet, 30% 1 foot, 15% 3 feet, 4% 4 feet, and 1% 5 feet tall.

I generated 10000 "random" numbers with the statement "=Rand()" (this generates a random number in value [0,1], then I added each of the wave's height with each of its adjacent random number to randomize the data.

I plotted the noisy data and I got an interesting little smudge that looked very peculiar. So I tried a different type of graph "100% stacked horizontal cone" and I got the plot that is attached, that seems to have very artistic characteristics with some pseudo wave/diffraction patterns.See attached. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Edit: Can't attach excel file for some reason, but its pretty straight forward to generate it yourself in excel.

Attachments

• beautiful.jpg
    beautiful.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

If it's the Moiré pattern to the right you're referring to, this is probably down to rounding in the data. Try truncating the numbers by one or two decimal places and see if it becomes more marked.

1. What is a "random sequence" in the context of this plot?

A random sequence is a series of values or events that occur in a seemingly unpredictable manner. In this plot, the random sequence is likely a set of data points that have been generated through a random process.

2. How was this plot generated?

This plot was most likely generated using a computer program or software that can generate random data points and plot them on a graph. The specific method used to generate the random sequence may vary depending on the purpose of the plot and the data being analyzed.

3. What does the shape of the plot indicate?

The shape of the plot can indicate the distribution of the random sequence. For example, a plot that is evenly distributed may indicate a uniform distribution, while a plot that is clustered in certain areas may indicate a skewed or non-uniform distribution.

4. What is the significance of exploring this plot?

Exploring this plot can provide insights into the nature of randomness and how it can be used to analyze data. It can also help identify any patterns or outliers in the data that may be of interest to researchers or scientists.

5. How can this plot be used in scientific research?

This plot can be used as a visual tool to help analyze and interpret data in a scientific study. It can also be used to compare different sets of data or to identify any correlations between variables. Additionally, this plot can be used to generate hypotheses and guide further research in a particular area.