Calculating Absorbance of Iron (III) Solution at 580nm for 2.50-cm Cell

• Thread starter ahhppull
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Absorbance
In summary, the problem asks to find the absorbance of a solution containing 5.94 ppm iron (III) after being treated with KSCN and diluted to 50.0 mL. To solve the problem, the concentration of the solution needs to be found, which can be done by converting ppm to grams per liter and then using the molar mass of iron (III). The resulting concentration is 1.06e-4 M. However, the molar absorptivity of FeSCN is not given, so it would need to be found online.
ahhppull

Homework Statement

2. A 5.00 mL aliquot of a solution that contains 5.94 ppm iron (III) is treated with an appropriate excess of KSCN and is diluted to 50.0 mL.What is the absorbance of the resulting solution at 580 nm in 2.50-cm cell?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble finding the concentration of the solution. I'm not really good at using ppm. How do I convert this to concentration? If I have the concentration, I can finish the problem by plugging in ε,b and c.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure if correct but here's what I did to find the concentration.

5.49 ppm = 5.49 micrograms/mL = 0.00549 grams/L

0.00549 grams/L /(55.845 grams/mole) = 0.000106 M

0.000106 M * 5 mL / 50 mL = 0.0000106 M

EDIT : Also I just realized that the molar absorptivity of FeSCN is not given in the book, so am I doing the problem wrong or do I need to find this online?

Last edited:
Shortcut - ppm usually means mg per L.

1.06e-4 M is OK.

1. What is the absorbance of a solution?

The absorbance of a solution is a measure of how much light is absorbed by the solution at a specific wavelength. It is directly proportional to the concentration of the absorbing substance in the solution.

2. How is absorbance measured?

A spectrophotometer is used to measure the absorbance of a solution. The solution is placed in a cuvette and a beam of light is passed through it. The amount of light transmitted through the solution is then compared to the amount of light that passes through a blank solution (containing no absorbing substance) to determine the absorbance.

3. What is the relationship between absorbance and concentration?

The relationship between absorbance and concentration is linear. As the concentration of the absorbing substance increases, the absorbance also increases. This relationship is described by the Beer-Lambert law, which states that absorbance is directly proportional to concentration and path length.

4. Why is absorbance used to measure concentration?

Absorbance is used to measure concentration because it is a more sensitive and accurate method compared to other techniques. It can be used for a wide range of concentrations and is not affected by the color or turbidity of the solution.

5. What factors can affect the absorbance of a solution?

The absorbance of a solution can be affected by several factors, including the concentration of the absorbing substance, the path length of the light through the solution, and the wavelength of light used. Other factors such as temperature, pH, and the presence of other substances can also affect absorbance.