1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absorbance or absorptance

1. Feb 18, 2010 #1
    Dear Forumers,

As a non-English speaker, I am confused about absorbance and absorptance. I found some definitions on the Internet, but I am not sure if understand them well. Oxford dictionary says the following (Oxford Dictionary of Physics, 4th ED. ISBN0-19-860759-8) for abroptance: "Symbol &alpha. The ratio of the radiant or luminous flux absorbed by a body to the flux falling on it. Formerly called abroptivity, the absorptance of a black body is by definition 1."

alpha = Ia/Io, where Ia is the absorbed light, and Io is the incident light.

I found what is absorbance in the Wiki, but, telling the truth, I did not understand, even I am a bit confused about transmittance as well. (Transmittance should be the transmitted light/incident light, but then, what is absorbance? From the def. equation, it seems that absorbance is only the negative logarythm of transmittance.)

Many thanks, if you can help, or suggest literature!

Kind regards,

TtM.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted