Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absorbant as Diapers

1. May 31, 2015 #1
    Hey guys! For a project that I am doing this summer, I need to have something that has a lot of absorbancy (much like a diaper) but it can't be a diaper because the project will be filmed and distributed about my university and I don't want it to be coated in diapers. Do you guys have any ideas on what I could use? I was thinking something along the lines of puppy pads but I have no idea how absorbent they are.

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Paper towels?

4. May 31, 2015 #3

phion

Gold Member

Surgical pads?

5. May 31, 2015 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Can you explain how these will be used and what their visibility would be?

6. May 31, 2015 #5
    It is a good idea, but I need it to be super absorbent.

That is also a good idea, I will have to look into the volume of water they can absorb...

The problem I am having is that I have about 2 liters of water that if it leaks will need to be absorbed completely across a surface area of about 8 square feet with a maximum thickness of about a quarter inch.

7. May 31, 2015 #6
    They will be lining a box that the project and camera is in. The box will experience both high and zero G loads so we expect the water to possibly go everywhere. The camera will be a fisheye camera so it will see everything. The project itself is mostly a bunch of tubes and pumps, so the walls will be pretty clearly visible

8. May 31, 2015 #7

Evo

I would suggest maybe the pads that have that dry gel that absorbs and holds so much moisture, it also wicks the moisture away from the top of the pad, could you cut the pads to disguise them? But I don't know if cutting the pads would compromise their water holding ability. I use puppy pads for when my dog won't go outside, he has an insane fear of the sound of rain and cannot go outside when it rains, so he has papers in the hall bathroom which has a tile floor, they work great. I can pick them up and nothing runs off.

9. May 31, 2015 #8

phion

Gold Member

Maybe that material they put in motionless waterbeds?

10. May 31, 2015 #9
    So basically they just have a lot of surface area to capture the water and hold it in there rather than absorb it like a diaper?

11. May 31, 2015 #10

Evo

Yes, oh, no. Haartz is the brand I use. "Won't spread, won't leak" Flash dry technology. Instantly turns urine into gel.

Here are the different types they make.

http://www.hartz.com/Hartz_Products/Dog_Products/Dog_Pads.aspx [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  12. May 31, 2015 #11
    mkay, well I appreciate the info!

13. May 31, 2015 #12

Evo

I posted a link above.

14. May 31, 2015 #13
    Most excelent! Thank you!

15. May 31, 2015 #14

Evo

You're very welcome, I hope they work out. Good luck on your project!

16. Jun 1, 2015 #15

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Wow. I had no idea about dog pads.

17. Jun 3, 2015 #16

Hepth

Gold Member

18. Jun 4, 2015 #17

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When working for a USDA animal blood testing lab, we used something similar to these http://tritechforensics.com/store/product/liquid-absorbing-sheets/ [Broken].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook