Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absorbant material

1. May 22, 2006 #1
    hello

does anyone here know of a random absorbant material that can absorb a rondom liquid that is LIGHTER than water and preferbaly hydrophilic but DOES NOT absorb water?

(what kind of material and fluid)

thanks in advance

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds to me like this is virtually impossible. You normally have two parameters with which to tune absorption/adsorption processes - physical selectivity and chemical selectivity.

Physical selectivity usually involves choosing/making pore sizes in relation to the size of the molecule being absorbed. You've ruled that out because you want to adsorb any general liquid lighter than water.

Chemical selectivity is also ruled out, because the easiest way to not absorb water is if the material is hydrophobic (eg: oil-treated fibrous absorbents). But you want something that it hydrophilic.

Last edited: May 25, 2006
  4. May 25, 2006 #3
    Maybe he means that the liquid is hydrophilic, unlike oil, which does not mix with water?

5. May 25, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmmm, yes that makes sense. But I draw a blank on that count too.

6. May 26, 2006 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I'm not a chemist, but PigMats are an item we use all the time in test cells. They absorb fuels, oils, etc... but no water. Just a thought.

7. May 26, 2006 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fred, most fuels and oils (in fact, most every single one I know) is hydrophobic. I'd be really surprised if your pig mat absorbed alcohol.

8. May 26, 2006 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I think I'll try a little test on Tuesday. I'll keep you updated.

9. May 29, 2006 #8

I think you're getting the wrong id. It's not like I'm trying to absorb next to ALL liquids that are lighter than water etc. I just want 1 liquid that works in the "configuration" of my first post (so if liquid A works and I need absorbant material D to let it do what I wan't it to do; what liquid, what material? just a random configuration that works like that)

Could you tell me some more about those PigMats?

By the way, it's not completly necessary for the fluid to be water. Any other fluid that behaves like mentioned above would work to.

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  10. May 29, 2006 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A Pig(R)Mat is generally a polypropylene-fiber bag containing a hydrophobic filler (typically cellulose) and often, a fire retardant.

11. May 31, 2006 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey Fred, so did you take your PigMat to the bar ?

12. Jul 5, 2006 #11
    thermally conductive electrically ninconductive material

Hi friends
    Is there any material which is electrically non-conductive but thermally highly conductive.

13. Jul 31, 2006 #12

Pythagorean

Gold Member

on the fishing boats, we use what we call 'diapers' or 'oil rags'. They look kind of like big, floppy wafers, and they absorb oil and fuel, but not water.

These look right:

[​IMG]

14. Jul 31, 2006 #13

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?