Find Hydrophilic Material to Absorb Non-Water Liquid

• Thread starter Metiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary: They look kind of like big, floppy wafers, and they absorb oil and fuel, but not water. Just a thought.These look right:http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/1095085_lg.gif
Metiz
hello

does anyone here know of a random absorbant material that can absorb a rondom liquid that is LIGHTER than water and preferbaly hydrophilic but DOES NOT absorb water?

(what kind of material and fluid)

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds to me like this is virtually impossible. You normally have two parameters with which to tune absorption/adsorption processes - physical selectivity and chemical selectivity.

Physical selectivity usually involves choosing/making pore sizes in relation to the size of the molecule being absorbed. You've ruled that out because you want to adsorb any general liquid lighter than water.

Chemical selectivity is also ruled out, because the easiest way to not absorb water is if the material is hydrophobic (eg: oil-treated fibrous absorbents). But you want something that it hydrophilic.

Last edited:
Maybe he means that the liquid is hydrophilic, unlike oil, which does not mix with water?

theCandyman said:
Maybe he means that the liquid is hydrophilic, unlike oil, which does not mix with water?
Hmmm, yes that makes sense. But I draw a blank on that count too.

I'm not a chemist, but PigMats are an item we use all the time in test cells. They absorb fuels, oils, etc... but no water. Just a thought.

Fred, most fuels and oils (in fact, most every single one I know) is hydrophobic. I'd be really surprised if your pig mat absorbed alcohol.

Gokul43201 said:
Fred, most fuels and oils (in fact, most every single one I know) is hydrophobic. I'd be really surprised if your pig mat absorbed alcohol.
I think I'll try a little test on Tuesday. I'll keep you updated.

Gokul43201 said:
Sounds to me like this is virtually impossible. You normally have two parameters with which to tune absorption/adsorption processes - physical selectivity and chemical selectivity.

Physical selectivity usually involves choosing/making pore sizes in relation to the size of the molecule being absorbed. You've ruled that out because you want to adsorb any general liquid lighter than water.

Chemical selectivity is also ruled out, because the easiest way to not absorb water is if the material is hydrophobic (eg: oil-treated fibrous absorbents). But you want something that it hydrophilic.

I think you're getting the wrong id. It's not like I'm trying to absorb next to ALL liquids that are lighter than water etc. I just want 1 liquid that works in the "configuration" of my first post (so if liquid A works and I need absorbant material D to let it do what I wan't it to do; what liquid, what material? just a random configuration that works like that)

FredGarvin said:
'm not a chemist, but PigMats are an item we use all the time in test cells. They absorb fuels, oils, etc... but no water. Just a thought.

Could you tell me some more about those PigMats?

By the way, it's not completely necessary for the fluid to be water. Any other fluid that behaves like mentioned above would work to.

Last edited:
Metiz said:
Could you tell me some more about those PigMats?
A Pig(R)Mat is generally a polypropylene-fiber bag containing a hydrophobic filler (typically cellulose) and often, a fire retardant.

Hey Fred, so did you take your PigMat to the bar ?

thermally conductive electrically ninconductive material

Hi friends
Is there any material which is electrically non-conductive but thermally highly conductive.

FredGarvin said:
I'm not a chemist, but PigMats are an item we use all the time in test cells. They absorb fuels, oils, etc... but no water. Just a thought.

on the fishing boats, we use what we call 'diapers' or 'oil rags'. They look kind of like big, floppy wafers, and they absorb oil and fuel, but not water.

These look right:

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/1095085_lg.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a hydrophilic material?

A hydrophilic material is a substance that has a strong affinity for water molecules. This means that it is able to absorb and retain water, making it an ideal material for absorbing non-water liquids.

2. How does a hydrophilic material absorb non-water liquids?

Hydrophilic materials have polar molecules that attract and bind to water molecules. When non-water liquids come into contact with a hydrophilic material, the polar molecules pull the liquid towards them, allowing it to be absorbed and retained within the material.

3. What types of materials are considered hydrophilic?

There are many materials that are considered hydrophilic, including cotton, wool, silk, cellulose fibers, and certain types of plastic and ceramics. These materials have polar or ionic groups on their surface that allow them to interact with water molecules.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using hydrophilic materials for absorbing non-water liquids?

One potential disadvantage of using hydrophilic materials for absorbing non-water liquids is that they may also absorb water, making it difficult to separate the two liquids. Additionally, some hydrophilic materials may lose their absorbent properties over time if not properly cared for or if exposed to certain chemicals.

5. How can I find the most effective hydrophilic material for absorbing non-water liquids?

The most effective hydrophilic material will depend on the specific properties of the non-water liquid you are trying to absorb. It is important to consider factors such as the molecular structure, viscosity, and pH of the liquid when selecting a hydrophilic material. Conducting experiments and testing different materials can help determine the best option for your needs.