Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absorbing gravitons

1. Oct 31, 2010 #1
    hi,

I wonder whether if we suppose the graviton has a spin of 2, would that mean that the spin of particles that are modified by the gravity field would need to increase or decrease their spin by 2? because gavity still exists on earth but i dont believe particles modify their spin by 2 in a gravity field...

can anyone explain that to me?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2010 #2

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A particle's angular momentum is a sum of orbital and spin angular momenta, [itex]J=L+s[/itex]. If a particle absorbed a graviton, it would have to change the J vector by 2 units, but that doesn't mean that the magnitude of J, L, or s has to change by 2 units.

4. Nov 3, 2010 #3
    ok, but can a particle be modified by gravity or a gravity field without absorbing a (virtual) graviton ? . I guess that electrons that are modified by electromagnetism in an electromagnetic field does not change their angular momentum, am i right?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook