Does Spin of Particles Change in a Gravity Field?

• Thread starter scope
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravitons
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential impact of a graviton with a spin of 2 on the spin of particles in a gravity field. It is explained that a particle's angular momentum is a sum of orbital and spin angular momenta, and absorbing a graviton would change the J vector by 2 units but not necessarily the magnitude of J, L, or s. The question about whether a particle can be modified by gravity without absorbing a graviton is also raised, with a comparison to the effect of electromagnetism on electrons.
scope
hi,

I wonder whether if we suppose the graviton has a spin of 2, would that mean that the spin of particles that are modified by the gravity field would need to increase or decrease their spin by 2? because gavity still exists on Earth but i don't believe particles modify their spin by 2 in a gravity field...

can anyone explain that to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
A particle's angular momentum is a sum of orbital and spin angular momenta, [itex]J=L+s[/itex]. If a particle absorbed a graviton, it would have to change the J vector by 2 units, but that doesn't mean that the magnitude of J, L, or s has to change by 2 units.

ok, but can a particle be modified by gravity or a gravity field without absorbing a (virtual) graviton ? . I guess that electrons that are modified by electromagnetism in an electromagnetic field does not change their angular momentum, am i right?

1. What is the relationship between spin and gravity?

Spin is a fundamental property of particles, while gravity is a fundamental force in the universe. The relationship between the two is still not fully understood, but it is believed that spin can be affected by gravity.

2. Can the spin of a particle change in a gravity field?

Yes, the spin of a particle can change in a gravity field. This phenomenon is known as the gravitational spin-orbit coupling and has been observed in various experiments.

3. How does the spin of a particle change in a gravity field?

The exact mechanism of how spin changes in a gravity field is still being studied. However, it is believed that the curved spacetime in a gravity field may affect the intrinsic angular momentum of the particle, causing its spin to change.

4. Does the strength of the gravity field affect the spin of a particle?

Yes, the strength of the gravity field can affect the spin of a particle. The stronger the gravity field, the greater the impact on the particle's spin. This is because the curvature of spacetime is more pronounced in stronger gravity fields.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying the spin of particles in a gravity field?

Studying the spin of particles in a gravity field can provide insights into the fundamental properties of matter and the nature of gravity. It can also have practical applications, such as in the development of precision instruments and technologies for space exploration.