1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absorption of Light

1. Oct 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A slab of glass 0.5 m thick absorbs 50% of light passing through it. Compute how thick of a slab of identical glass you would need that:
    - absorbs 90% of light
    - absorbs 99% of light
    - absorbs 99.9% of light

2. Relevant equations
    I spent an hour looking for formulas in my text book and couldn't find any, which is the primary reason I'm having trouble.

3. The attempt at a solution
    N/A

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The simplest mathematical formulation to describe light absorption is through the equation ##I(z) = e^{-\alpha z} I(0)##, where ##z## the distance traveled and ##\alpha## an absorption coefficient.

4. Oct 18, 2015 #3
    I typed light absorption as a function of glass thickness into the Google search engine and it came up on the first hit.

5. Oct 18, 2015 #4
    So the quantity that we are trying to measure here is intensity? I do see a formula in my textbook saying I(z) = I0e-τ(x). Could that be it?

EDIT: This actually appears to be a formula for intensity through a medium of gas. Nevermind.

6. Oct 18, 2015 #5

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Shouldn't the exponent be a function of z?

7. Oct 18, 2015 #6
    Yes, I mistyped it. Both I and tau should be functions of x according to my textbook. I'm still not finding a formula for absorption of light by a solid anywhere in my textbook, only for gases.

8. Oct 18, 2015 #7

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you can't find it in your book, you should look for it somewhere else, shouldn't you?

9. Oct 18, 2015 #8
    Another formula in my textbook says ΔI/Δ = -(nSΔx)σ/S = -nσΔx. σ here is the cross-section, Δx the thickness, and n the number density. For the sake of this problem, the number density and cross-section would remain constant with Δx as the only independent variable to change ΔI/I. Would this be an acceptable solution to this problem?

10. Oct 18, 2015 #9

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is accurate only when the thickness and/or the absorption coefficient are small. Look what happen if you make the deltas infinitesimal (##\Delta \rightarrow d##),
    $$
    \frac{dI}{I} = n\sigma dx
    $$
    and then integrate both sides. What expression will you get?

11. Oct 18, 2015 #10
    What would two of these slabs do?

Perhaps you underestimate your own powers of reason.

12. Oct 18, 2015 #11
    lnI = -nσ dx + C1.
    If I use the knowledge that at x = 0 I = I0 we can use differential equations (I worked them out on a sheet of paper) to get C1 = lnI0 and then I(x) = I0e-nσx.

I think...

13. Oct 18, 2015 #12

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that's right, and how does it compare to the equation in comment #2?

14. Oct 18, 2015 #13
    It's looks similar. In the equation in comment 2 I would assume number density and cross section were combined into a single constant.

15. Oct 18, 2015 #14

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So, what is still halting you to answer your homework questions?

16. Oct 18, 2015 #15
    Nothing anymore. Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted