1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absorption Spectra

1. Sep 16, 2009 #1
    If you're reading a graph of absorption coefficient(cm^-1) versus wavelength(nm), how can you dtermine if the solution is optically dilute? What about optically thick? Thanks
    Ben

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2009 #2
    Well as the absorbtion coefficient is per cm, i am guessing the higher it is the more light is being absorbed when travelling through a cm of the substance. So the optically diluter substance is probably the one with the lower coefficient.

4. Sep 16, 2009 #3
    I agree, unfortunately I'm not comparing two spectra, but rather just answering for a variety of spectra is the solution optically dilute? Is it Optically thick? And not sure where the cut off is, can't find a value anywhere

5. Sep 16, 2009 #4
    K i looked on wikipedia and the equation for absorbtion coefficient is:

I = Io e^-ax

Where I is transmitted intensity, Io is incident intensity, a is the attenuation coefficient and x is the thickness of the substance. Rearranging for a:

a = ln(Io/I)

If we try some values:

When 75% of light is transmitted a = 0.28

When 50% of light is transmitted a = 0.69

When 25% of light is transmitted a = 1.39

Maybe that will help you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook