Analyzing the Acceleration Problem: Which Frame Should You Choose?

In summary, the angle the pendulum makes with the perpendicular to the truck's ceiling is a result of the acceleration of the truck up the hill.
nate9519
A truck is moving with constant acceleration "a" up a hill that makes an angle phi with the horizontal. A small sphere of mass "m" is suspended from the ceiling of the truck by a light cord. If the pendulum makes a constant angle theta with the perpendicular to the ceiling, what is a?

What equations should I use for this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried to do this problem yourself first? I think the first step would be to draw a picture. If the truck were not accelerating, what angle would the pendulum make? What does the acceleration of the truck up the hill do to this pendulum?

if it were flat the angle would be 0 because it would be pointing straight down at constant velocity. The acceleration pushes the pendulum back. I just don't know how write acceleration in terms of the variables they gave me

nate9519 said:
A truck is moving with constant acceleration "a" up a hill that makes an angle phi with the horizontal. A small sphere of mass "m" is suspended from the ceiling of the truck by a light cord. If the pendulum makes a constant angle theta with the perpendicular to the ceiling, what is a?

What equations should I use for this problem?

nate9519 said:
if it were flat the angle would be 0 because it would be pointing straight down at constant velocity. The acceleration pushes the pendulum back. I just don't know how write acceleration in terms of the variables they gave me

As with most problems like this, start by drawing a Free Body Diagram (FBD) that shows the string and the sphere. Show the forces on the sphere from the string and from gravity...

To add on to berkeman, there are 2 frames in which you can analyze this problem, the frame of the ground (inertial) or the frame of the truck (non-inertial). If you choose the frame of the ground, the good news is is that it is an inertial frame and there are no fictitious forces, the bad news is that the pendulum is not stationary in this frame, but is moving up the hill along with the truck, so you have to figure out what that means as far as an angle between the pendulum and the ceiling of the truck goes. If you choose the frame of the truck, then you are in a non-inertial frame, and you have to introduce one additional fictitious force into your problem, but the good news is, now in this frame, the pendulum is stationary.

I suggest you work in the frame of the truck because including a fictitious force is easier than to worry about a moving pendulum in my opinion.

What is the abstract acceleration problem?

The abstract acceleration problem is a hypothetical problem in physics that considers a scenario in which an object experiences a constant acceleration without any external forces acting on it. This problem is often used as a thought experiment to explore the concept of acceleration and its relationship to other fundamental principles of physics.

Why is the abstract acceleration problem important?

The abstract acceleration problem allows scientists to think critically about the basic principles of motion and how they are interconnected. It also helps to highlight the role of acceleration in the laws of motion and its implications for real-world scenarios.

What are some real-world examples of the abstract acceleration problem?

One example of the abstract acceleration problem is a spacecraft moving through deep space, where there is no friction or other forces acting on the craft. Another example is an object falling in a vacuum, where air resistance is not a factor.

How is the abstract acceleration problem related to Newton's laws of motion?

The abstract acceleration problem is closely related to Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In the abstract acceleration problem, the net force is assumed to be zero, resulting in constant acceleration.

Are there any practical applications of the abstract acceleration problem?

While the abstract acceleration problem is primarily used as a thought experiment, it has practical applications in understanding and predicting the motion of objects in real-world scenarios. For example, the principles explored in this problem can be applied to designing spacecraft trajectories or predicting the motion of objects in deep space.